CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-02-2003, 08:09 PM   #1
Roy

Profile:

Im not sure if im trying them wrong, or if they're just extremely damn hard! My first guess is that my homemade rings are too far apart. I didn't bring them closer together because I figured I better not try the muscleup anymore or i may hurt my wrist, which is almost done with therapy. Maybe im just not committing enough, because I know i dint give it my ALL, but I gave it a lot. Any advice for a beginner attmepting their first muscle up? Should I practice dips more? I havent dipped in over 5 months and that could be it. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Cheers

Roy
Old 09-02-2003, 09:53 PM   #2
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Hi Roy,

If your pullup/dip strength is fine, it is probably your technique during the transition. I learned to do muscleups by taking a false grip and combining both "jumping" with one leg and pulling into the dip position. Concentrate on pulling your chest between and through the rings. Add less power to your jump as you get to feeling how the transition works.

I have to tell you that between using an improper false grip and overworking the MU, I severely strained my elbows. It was so bad I couldn't even hold up the weight of a camera when I bent my arms. This was several months ago, and I still ignite that pain if I go at MUs with my regular effort. If you are already have some joint issues, go at it easy. Hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:25 AM   #3
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Hi Roy,

A follow up to my previous post on MUs...I managed to screw up my left elbow again because I lost the false grip and decided to try to "power" my way up. Really stupid of me. I know my elbows are an issue. Now I will have to deal with this problem for several days. Unlike me, shelf your ego and work within your limits...
Old 09-03-2003, 11:29 AM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Roy-
For most folks 15 PU's and 15 dips will get you knocking on the door to a MU. Technique is everything! GEt the CFJ on the MU is you do not have it. start training your PU's explosively and make the bar touch your sternum. Train your dips from very deep and again fairly explosively. This will help you in the slowdown at the transdition point.
Good luck!
Robb