CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
David Brown

Profile:
struggling with last few pounds

I have been dieting and excercising for 7 monthes straight now and have been doing crossfit for 3 monthes now. First I must say that I absolutely love crossfit the workouts are always fun and almost always turn me into a puddle of goo afterwards! Crazy that some call that fun!

Anyways when I started my program my goal was and still is to get a flat stomach and by that I mean when standing straight with belly completely relaxed stomach doesn't stick out past rib cage.

I was 268 lbs 7 monthes ago and I am down to 213 now. Even tho I can plainly see the fat loss and the muscle gain and can also feel tons of strength increases I still have a gut hanging out in front of me!

I don't know if my diet is betraying me or if I am just not doing enough core work. I am starting to think it is my diet because well I crossfit and that is tons of core work!

My typical diet is simple

Wake up and workout
Breakfast is about 3 eggs scrambled and very small serving of hash browns and about .5 cup of oatmeal with 3 peach slices.

Snack is an apple or banana.

Lunch is a tuna sandwich on whole wheat bread with a bag of soy crisps

Snack 1 cup cottage cheese with peach slices

Dinner is usually a salad with turkey meat on it with fat fee Italian dressing and a cup of cottage cheese again with dinner.

Then bed.

I usually change up lunch with a turkey sandwhich instead of tuna.

I have tallied all that up in the past and I don't even break 2000 calories eating that.

I also sometimes eat a new York steak for dinner with the salad. All in all I haven't had more then 2400 calories in 7 months. I have my cheat days but I keep them sensible.

I just can't believe that after 7 months of training and good diet that I still have this damn gut!

Am I just getting impatient or do I have some things to correct in diet?

Oh and I am 6 foot 3 inches tall and 33 years old.

Thanks in advance to everyone.

And if there are a lot of spelling errors please excuse I am typing on my blackberry!
Old 07-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
Scott Borre

Profile:
Re: struggling with last few pounds

You've lost 2 pounds per week and you are concerned?

How have your CrossFit times improved? Are you able to RX a lot of workouts now? How intense are you approaching them? How often do you workout/rest? How do you feel otherwise?

Okay so you want beautiful abs. Well first, you lost weight. Your skin doesn't just tighten up right away. Generally takes some time.

If this is your big concern, drop the soy chips, drop the oatmeal, drop the bread (and honestly eat something other than tuna everday, not good for you to be eating every day.). Add more veggies (not sure how much non-lettuce veggies you have in your salads).

And I think for ultra tight abs some will say intermittent fasting works great for it. I think that a proper tight diet (such as Zone) or paleo with IF will both get you to having thin skin and an overall lean body.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Chris Walls

Profile:

And don't be under the impression that more situps or trunk work will burn your gut off... 6-pack abs are built in the kitchen. There is no such thing as spot losing. Patience man patience, you've been at weight loss for 7 months, how long did it take you to get to your starting point? 7 months? Why should it take months to undo years?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
David Brown

Profile:

Well when you put it like that! Hahaha

Well to answer your questions

1st I switch up the tuna with turkey.

I eat a sandwhich bag full of brocolli everyday.

I attack my crossfit WODs with much intensity. I am left drained after all my metcon and strength WODs. For awhile there I was starting to get a little depressed because I was always wasted after my wod and I was expecting them to get easier. But I noticed instead that my times and rounds and reps were improving.

I also take animal omega for fish oils and animal flex joint supplement.

So basiclly what your saying is I should stop whining? Hahahaha

Just getting impatient!

Oh and the loose skin is something I have noticed recently how long does that normally take to shrink up??
Old 07-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
David Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
And don't be under the impression that more situps or trunk work will burn your gut off... 6-pack abs are built in the kitchen. There is no such thing as spot losing. Patience man patience, you've been at weight loss for 7 months, how long did it take you to get to your starting point? 7 months? Why should it take months to undo years?
Very good point thanks.

I fight the urge to do more sit ups in my workouts. I just keep plugging away at it.

I will just keep at it and keep working on perfecting my diet.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #6
Chris Walls

Profile:

One other thing is that sometimes people eat too little and their weight/fat loss will stagnate. Upping the caloric intake will sometimes spur the body into shedding more weight.

Check out the long and ongoing thread about eating breyer's ice cream every night... It's counter-intuitive and YMMV but it's quite common.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
Matthew Eucalitto

Profile:

Get some low-fat peanut butter, roast beef, and other proteins in there. Red meat is important too!! it is something EVERYONE ate until vegetarians told us not to just the past 30 or 40 years. Our bodies are made to process it.

Also, cut out the hash browns and oatmeal with the eggs, and maybe throw in some fruit in the morning,

some proteins during the snacks
Old 07-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
David Brown

Profile:

I eat maybe 1 tbl spoon a day of naturally more peanut butter which is very good. And I also get a good amount of chicken in there to. As far as red meat goes I will admit I do not eat much of it because it is much higher in fat and isn't it usually loaded with carbs?

I will stop eating the oatmeal and hash browns with breakfast.
But something that I noticed (which is why I added oatmeal to my diet) was that when I go for to long on a very low carb diet I feel weak. And when I load up on carbs I feel much stronger more energy. I normally try to cycle my carbs. I will go 5 days with them as low as I can stand it and then take 1 or 2 days and double up on them.

That is common right?

And besides protein shakes I am having a hard time finding snack foods that are low carb and high protein. I am unable 90 percent of the time to mix up a shake. (due to a crazy work schedule and enviroment which would be a long explanation I will just say arctic circle)
Old 07-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
Chris Walls

Profile:

don't be too concerned about fat. Fat does not make you fat, sugar does. And cutting out outmeal and hashbrowns does not mean you need to lower your carb intake, just get it from other sources like vegetables and fruit. (too much fruit is counter productive as well)

An easy balanced snack could be something like an apple, 2 oz piece of cheese and some almonds.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #10
George Mounce

Profile:

Lose the grains at every meal. Its what you are eating, not always about how much you are eating. Your body will adapt to eating less, or eating more. Choices are in my opinion much more important than amounts.