CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-05-2008, 05:31 AM   #1
Jimi Miller

Profile:
Struggling on the zone

Hey all. I've been zoning for about 3 weeks now. I was hoping to trim the fat a bit but have been going the opposite direction. I'm 5'9", male. When I started the zone I was about 146lbs and 14% bf. Three weeks later I'm 152 and 16% bf. I'm doing 14 blocks. Too much food or should I stick with this awhile longer and see where it takes me?
Old 05-05-2008, 06:12 AM   #2
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:
Re: Struggling on the zone

How's your performance/energy level? Sometimes it can take a few weeks for your body to adjust. When I started on the zone I didn't really have any weight to lose (165 lb, ~8% BF); I was just trying to improve my performance levels. I gained about 5 pounds right off the bat, but when my performance levels started going up the weight came back off. Nicole Carroll tells a similar story about her zone experience in the CrossFit Journal article "Getting off the Crack". Also, if you haven't already, pick up a copy of "Mastering the Zone". It has a lot of great information about fine tuning the zone diet. Lastly, remember that performance is more important than the numbers on the scale. 150 lbs is pretty slim at 5'9". Your body might perform better with a little more muscle mass. Take that into consideration. I'd give the diet a full 8 weeks before I made any decisions.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:33 AM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

Stick with it for a while. Most BF testing methods have more than a 2-4% variance so I would not really trust your numbers.

As thin as you are I would bet getting a zone amount of protein potentially helped you put on some muscle. How is your performance doing?

I will insert my prejudice here so take it for what it is worth but at 5'9" and 146lbs I would be looking to gain some muscle before I tried to "trim some fat"

Last edited by Craig Van De Walker; 05-05-2008 at 06:36 AM..
Old 05-05-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
Jimi Miller

Profile:

What can I say, I'm small boned Performance has been pretty good. I'm noticing more energy in the mid to late rounds of workouts. I'm certainly not adverse to putting on more muscle and weight but the extra body fat makes me hesitate. I've been checking it regularly for the past three years and this is the highest it has ever been. I'll give it another month or so and see what happens. Thanks for the replies.