CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 01-15-2007, 04:41 AM   #1
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
I've been watching some K1 clips on You tube, and I really respect Mirko's style and determination. I saw him get beaten by that Canadian guy in the gladiator trunks and I couldn't help but think if he shed some fat, and was a bit faster he would have had more luck. I saw a training vid of him doing squats on a smith machine as well and I was a bit disheartened, I had hoped he would have done it with a squat rack. Any thoughts?
Old 01-15-2007, 07:23 AM   #2
Aidan O Brien

Profile:
Hmmm...me thinks you read into things too much? Just because i saw someone do something once i would never assume that they do that always. I have done, in the past, for one reason or another squats in a smith machine. If i was being recored that day does this always mean i do them in the smith machine?

I would never really call Mirko fat, although i would never call him ripped either. Rather i think that Mirko fights at a weight that is comfortable for him...i do not think that a fighter of Mirko's caliber would gain a massive amount of speed by dropping a few percent bodyfat.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:57 AM   #3
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
You know what would have really helped him? Keeping his hands up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RKeW9mVQvs

Not really work or family safe...
Old 01-15-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
Peter Queen

Profile:
Matthew: Wow, what the hell was that video? :lol:

Mitchell: I believe you are referring to Michael McDonald. He beat CroCop before.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21357/35497.jpg
Old 01-19-2007, 06:02 AM   #5
Gary Turner

Profile:
Hi!

I fought Mike (drew) over a 5 round World Title Eliminator Thai fight a couple of years ago. He is the fastest and most fluid combination fighter on the heavyweight circuit today. Crocop lightening up wouldn't necessarily of helped him - he still wouldn't be as fast and as fluid as Mike.

Crocop's head wasn't on - he was off form in my opinion.

As to the way he looks, he trains, like me, to be a fighter, not look like one - a big difference!

If I fought Mike again I would want to come in heavier than usual to use my size to help displace and throw Mike out of his rhythm. And this is obviously the opposite of lightening up...

As for training on a Smith machine, I used to, as with a long term back injury I could handle much, much more weight using the control that it gives me over trying free squats. Since then though, I do plyo, use the TRX, do callisthenics, do sprints and other forms of 'resistance' training rather than pure weights and have had massive improvements in leg conditioning over all aspects of my training.

Just my opinion!

Smiler
Old 02-02-2007, 02:18 AM   #6
Jared Waltz

Profile:
> As to the way he looks, he trains, like me, to be a fighter, not look like one - a big difference!

Bingo! If you're talking about "looks" than Fedor shouldn't do like he does! :-)