CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-23-2007, 06:05 AM   #1
Ann Galchutt

Profile:
Hello all, this is my new Crossfit journal for a new CF trainee. I'm reasonably fit, 5'3" and 130lbs, but want to be my BEST. Previous average gym experience and some light sports.

I'm beginning with the 12 week beginner course from the May 2003 issue. Pardon any terminology faux pas, still learning. :-)

Week 1: Monday

Deadlift 15,12,9
Did bar+10+10=65 pounds and completed all sets.

Had to take two or three very short breathers in mid-set sometimes, but finished all with good form. REALLY felt it in the gluteus and between the shoulderblades. No strain in lower back, so guess form is not bad for starters. Kept my chin up and looking up throughout. Now I feel like I did more work than any "normal" gym machine workout!}
Old 04-24-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
Ann Galchutt

Profile:
Today's beginner exercise

Run 400m

Ran 0.25 miles (about 400m) in 2:36. Found a good speed for my stride, though I'm reeeal rough on running smoothly. Practice should fix that. Surprisingly, the run was not too difficult after the slight soreness from deadlifts last night. Good!
Old 04-25-2007, 06:00 AM   #3
Ann Galchutt

Profile:
Week 1: Wednesday

Push press 15,12,9
20lb dumbbells each hand

Finished all reps, though with short pauses in mid-set for all. Press is my weak one, even with machines, so I used two dumbbells instead of risk injury with a barbell. Workout was good, though the pauses were due to muscle fatigue in the left arm. Will keep with this weight until I can finish sets without pause.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:42 AM   #4
Ann Galchutt

Profile:
Week 1: Thursday

Run 400m
2:45

Going well, though I seem to be running from my shins, which fatiques them way before anything else is even tired. Might post in one of the other forums here about any ideas about it.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
Ann Galchutt

Profile:
Week 1: Friday!

Squats - 65lbs

Very good stuff! The gym even had a pad for the bar so it didn't rest so harshly on my shoulders. Did all strongly, but the weight was just right (near limit at end of each set, but fine after a rest for the next one).

Thus ends the first week of the 12 weeker. :-)

Also going on the Zone diet starting next week. With the additional working out, it seems like a good food plan to provide the right proteins and materials to support the activity. Plus the energy maint sounds excellent too.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:38 AM   #6
Ann Galchutt

Profile:
Saturday and Sunday: Rest Days

Looking forward to Monday!
Old 04-30-2007, 06:45 AM   #7
Ann Galchutt

Profile:
Week 2: Deadlift, 70lbs

18,15,9(12)

Only managed 9 on the last set due to sharp, narrow pain/strain shooting down top of right thigh. Little concerned about it, as it's the first time something like that has happened there, ever. But there's no pain right now.

Will have to stretch more before starting, I think.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:23 AM   #8
Ann Galchutt

Profile:
Week 2: Run 400m (from Tuesday), 2:65 & Push Press, 30# 18,15,12

Took Tuesday out due to the weird thigh thing, but it hasn't done anything since so I'm back on track. Unfortunately, I thought to weigh the barbells tonight and found that I was informed wrong by 15 pounds on the one I've been using. So I have to revise progress; it's a 30# barbell, not 45#. I found the 45# though.

But, since I'm pushing the limit with 30#, I'll keep to it and work up to the 45 pounder. Little discouraging, but all in good time.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:07 AM   #9
Tim Smith

Profile:
Way to go, Ann!
Old 05-04-2007, 02:02 AM   #10
Ann Galchutt

Profile:
Week 2 (Thursday, late posting)

Run 400m

Still fatiquing on the running, but after the helpful suggestions in the Proper Running thread, I bought some light-weight spike shoes and new socks. They're incoming, but I'm doing some shin exercises to strengthen. Still no sign of the thigh strain, so I think it might have been a nerve.

Will post tonight's after I do it. :-) Thanks for the encouragement, Tim!