CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-23-2004, 04:10 PM   #1
scott gilchrist

Profile:  
I'm ready to finally take the plunge and start doing the wod's. I'm just not sure how to incorporate it with my jiu-jitsu training.
I train j-j Mon., Wed. and Sat. and am wondering if I still do the wod for those days as well. I am usually spent after my training. I know there are quite a few others who train some form of martial arts as well as crossfit so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Scott Gilchrist
Ontario,Canada
Old 12-23-2004, 05:54 PM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Scott, break in slowly but eventually you want to do the WOD as written, in addition to your sport skill training (SPP). Ideally you want at least 5 hours between training sessions. Overtraining is overrated, under-recovery is really the killer. Make sure your nutrition is correct and that your getting sleep (8 hrs), using contrast showers, the Stick, foam rollers, massage, and any other form of recovery you could think of.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:27 PM   #3
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I just do the WOD when ever I can. Sometimes this means doing it right before or after a tough MA workout. Although this is something I have built up to over the months.

I would reccomend doing your best to do the WODs as perscribed when you can, and doing scaled back versions when you know you will be working out hard in class.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:25 PM   #4
Jonathan Kessler

Profile:
Scott, I don't know how old you are or your recovery ablilities. With a very full time job, at age 43, I don't like to do an intense WOD and BJJ on the same day - I just don't get enough sleep or eat enough to really recover well from that. Maybe when I've been doing CF for longer I will. I do know a number of guys who do both, WOD in the morning and BJJ at night. Say, that sounds like a song...
JK
Old 12-30-2004, 11:27 AM   #5
Jeff Martin

Profile:
I'm a little late coming to this discussion but here is my input. I brought CrossFit to Brand X to help our athletes get in better shape. The first few months just destroyed them. Now, some of the younger people (13-25) come in, do the workout of the day, then follow it up with kickboxing or Krav Maga workouts. I do think it has to do with individual recoverability. I find, even after a year I need a longer break between the WOD and any other training I do. Larry is correct, in my experience one doesn't breakdown due to overtraining but rather under recovery.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:53 AM   #6
scott gilchrist

Profile:  
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I only have access to the net at work and have been off for a couple of weeks so sorry for the delay.
I am going to try to do the WOD as prescribed and go as hard as I can and I'll just have to back off if I'm feeling tired out.
Just a little background info in case anyone else has any suggestions. I'm 30, fulltime job with overtime on weekends (industrial electrician), wife and 20 month old son. I started j-j 1 year ago to try and lose weight as I was quite heavy at 265lbs (5ft-9in). I now weigh 215 and really enjoy j-j. Now I want to get in better shape so I can maybe start competing in tournaments.
Thanks again
Scott Gilchrist
Ontario, Canada
Old 01-04-2005, 12:36 PM   #7
Tom Shook

Profile:

Hey Scott for what its worth, I am in a very similar situation to yours lifestyle wise. I know how tough it can be to try and develop a program that works. Just a thought: why not continue with JJ training and start to incorporate WOD during your non-JJ days? Eventually you could build up to greater frequency, but perhaps start a little slower. Rome wasn't built in a day. Good luck when you start competing!
Old 01-13-2005, 06:37 PM   #8
Mikki Lee Martin

Profile:
I like the its absolutely terribly hard to do aspect of following one with the other. I figure it will help me prepare for my next test, if I have to Practice/take a class while very tired. I have been combining the two one right after the other for about 3-4 months and i definately see a difference in my endurance. Could just be the CrossFit alone...