CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 03-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #11
Jodi Bainbridge

Profile:
Congrats Laura! That's awesome!! :-)
Old 03-13-2007, 03:11 AM   #12
Chris Stowe

Profile:
This may or may not be a newbie question, but when you all are talking numbers for your pullups (which are ALL impressive by the way!) are you talking about a dead hang pullup, or sets of kipping pullups? I know that you generate more work out of a kipping pullup in the long run, I am just curious about how you all are completing them, so I can gauge my progress as well. Long story short, I can do about 12 or so good form dead hang pullups, but can get approx 30 or so kipping, so I was just curious. Thanks, and you all are doing awesome!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 06:22 PM   #13
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Hi, Chris. Pretty much most CrossFit pull ups are kipping. Especially when you get up in the double digits.

There are those who can do many strict / dead hang pull ups but I be not one of them. I can do one or two. Need to work on that.

30 is good for kipping, I'm guessing 12 is pretty good for strict but I'm not sure. :-) Go to the competitions topic, you'll find folks who can do 50+ kipping and 20-40 strict pull ups. Check out Eugene Allen's Birthday Pull Up thread.

And thanks for the compliments. CrossFit is probably the only place you find this many women with high pull up numbers. Well maybe the military has lots of female pull up machines.

And, thanks, Jodi!

(Message edited by laurar on March 13, 2007)
Old 03-14-2007, 11:54 AM   #14
Jodi Bainbridge

Profile:
When I speak of pullups, I always mean kipping. If I do strict, I will clarify. I actually tried strict pullups for a change the other day. I did 15...and I had a couple more in me. :-) I thought that was pretty good.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:01 AM   #15
Samuel Redwine

Profile:
When I think of pullups I only think deadhang. When I do a PFT I can't kip, so it's of no use to me. I guess I'm old fashioned, but I view kipping as not doing pullups but a different exercise. So when I do a WOD, my pullups are deadhang.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:12 AM   #16
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Samuel-Can you do 20 plus deadhang? The last time I checked I could do 27 deadhand and I use a combination of both. I regularly do 3 sets of 15 deadhang in the warmup. The different type of pullups will knock your deadhang up a little bit. I don't neglect either.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:07 AM   #17
Samuel Redwine

Profile:
Not all in one set. I am working on it. I want the 100 points when I do my next PFT that comes from doing 20. My pullups deteriorated when I wrecked my shoulder last year. I still haven't recovered. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen a thread on the type of injury I have. I'll go start one.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:18 PM   #18
Marc Stoll

Profile:
I too, am a believer in the dead-hang pullups, thats all PT does as samuel said (at least the tests I have done). I can do 18 in one set I think max, although I haven't maxed in a while. I'm sure its up after my crossfit work.

Congratulations though, Mie!

(Message edited by Stolly on March 30, 2007)