CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
Chase Morgan

Profile:
Question Small Fish in Big Pond - NEW BOX?

Hey all,

I'm considering opening a box in a high population area that already has several well-established CF boxes. There's no way i'll try to syphon off their members (I'll save that tactic for the globo-gym), so I'll be starting at 0.

My fear is that there's a good chance any members I generate will eventually switch to the other boxes because they're roughly the same price but are larger, have more equipment, have more trainers, are well-established, have more class times, etc..

My questions is, has anyone else opened a box under the same circumstances? Did it work out or fail?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
Matthew Wade

Profile:
Re: Small Fish in Big Pond - NEW BOX?

We opened under somewhat similar conditions. You will find that people do not always base their decisions on the factors you listed. People will train at your gym because of the environment you create. Not all people will mesh well with your gyms atmosphere and same goes for the other larger gyms. Do not try to create your program based on the physical factors, as many say this is a relationship business. Establish the atmosphere in your gym that fits the goals you have for the business and you should have no problem keeping the clients you get. They will continue with you because of the relationship you build. Doesn't matter what the other gyms offer.
On that note, we have actually told prospects on a couple of occasions that another Affiate in our city is probably more suited to what they are looking for. I would rather send them to a place I know they will fit in than try to conform to their needs. We understand that our gym is not right for everyone and vice-versa.
Hope that rambling helps a little.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

What can you offer that the other guys don't?

Find a good answer to that, and you'll do just fine. If you can't, then you shouldn't be opening a box.

Katherine
Old 10-20-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Yesterday I was talking to a long time member of a local CF Affiliate that has continually expanded. She was complaining about too many people, too much noise, too many trainers, etc... She liked the affiliate better when there were smaller classes, fewer trainers (that didn't contradict each other), less noise, etc...

If you purposely market yourself as a smaller box you will attract people just for that reason. Use the 'small town atmosphere' as a strength, don't consider it a weakness. It will enable you to give people more personal attention and allow clients to build closer personal relationships with each other.

Good luck!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Brian Strump

Profile:

We've got 2 big affiliates near us in Charlotte. Each 250+ members, in 7000+sf each.

We started in 1600sf. People came. We're about to expand into additional 3000 in December. They'll still come. We're different with the doctors office, but besides that, the number one compliment we get is that it's "clean".
Have enough quality equipment to run classes, even if it means you need to run in heats because of lack of room.

Offer things that people can't put a price tag on....CARE for them, and their families health, wellness, and fitness.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
Neil Khant

Profile:

Bigger is not always better. Embrace the differences. Run your gym the way you would like to see it grow.

If you work to be the best trainer you can be and give every clients all you can...you can grow in any conditions. Build bonds with your clients.

And make it FUN!
Old 10-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
Chase Morgan

Profile:

All good advice. Thanks everyone!