CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-26-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Hello folks,

I'm curious how long one can go between strength workouts before there is a loss of strength?

Basically I do a semi SS workout of squats/deads/press usually about 3x5 for the working sets. I usually bump up the weight 5lbs each time. I had been doing this twice a week with the other workouts being metcon stuff.

I recently started back to brazilian jiujitsu, which is basically a metcon workout, IMHO. I also started going to Rainier Crossfit on Saturdays for their metcon workout. Because of that, it has been over a week since my last strength workout. So I started wondering, how long can I go between strength workouts and still make progress?

What do y'all think?

Thanks...

howard
Old 03-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Ehh... Depends. If your metcon workouts involve some of the same muscle groups, you can obviously go a lot longer before strength loss.

Now, your title says "stength loss," but you say "progress?" For significant progress in strength, you'll probably want to cut a little off the metcon and go at least once a week for a max/oly day.

Mainly it depends on what muscle groups you're using on the metcon days. You can (and will) gain strength with metcon workouts, just not the same "type" of strength (sorry for being vague, I'm tired and can't think of the terminology).
Old 03-26-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
It depends a lot on how long you've been strength training as well. Someone with years of training can lay off a lot longer than some that's only been training a few months.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #4

Profile:

all the research I've seen suggests strength begins to diminish after 7-10 days or so. but like veronica said, how quickly it diminishes after that point depends a lot on your training experience, etc.

with folks who are busy with other training, training each strength lift (e.g. DL, squat, press, bench, PC, etc.) 1x/week can work well in my experience.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Thanks for the replies. So, it sounds like if I work them once every 5-7 days at least I should be able to progress, albeit slower than if I were doing 2-3 times/wk.

I guess another approach would be to work them in shorter but more frequent workouts and still do the metcon workouts.

I think Power to the People recommends something like this (2sets x 5reps, five days/wk) but I haven't tried it.

howard
Old 03-26-2007, 09:30 PM   #6
John Kaupp

Profile:
If you have the time and ability, you can also Grease the Groove. Do selected exercise throughout the day. Maybe 5-10 total sets. Not everybody has the time or availability of equipment to do this but if you do, a great way to keep the strength gains going while doing the high volume of metcon. I think this is mentioned it PTP.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Thanks John,

I've seen GTG with pullups recommended...but not heavy back squats, deads, etc...

I assume that means there would have to be a good warmup each time??

howard
Old 03-27-2007, 12:08 PM   #8
John Kaupp

Profile:
You would need to be warm enough. More for squats than deads. I can typically do one to two warmup sets and do a near maximal lift for deads but need a couple more sets or be more warmed up for squats. A good way to GTG with squats is to do heavy 2-KB front squats. GTG is more for handling moderately heavy weights and for walking around strength. Works really good for the pressing. As you get comfortable doing it in this fashion you will be able to figure out how much you need to warmup.

I would say for deads you could do a warm up set or two and then pull up to about 90-95% of your max. For squats, KBs are your best option for this type of training otherwise I would stick with your squat routine and do it before the metcon.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:
The supercompensation phase ends somewhere between 14-21 days depending on the person, their training habits, diet, etc. I can personally attest to this, and I remember seeing a study that proves this but I cannot for the life of me remember where it is now because I'm on a new computer without my old weight training bookmarks.

As other people have said, it would be optimal to strength train 2-4x a week, but once a week is probably the minimum you want to do.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:06 PM   #10
Matt Thomas

Profile:
I don't see why this would make a difference, but can I assume all of this applies to gymnastic and static type strength work as well as weightlifting?