CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-25-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
Jonathan Slater

Profile:
First couple of days on the zone... first couple of questions.

I got 'Enter the Zone' a few days ago, and since reading it all my meals are becoming more and more structured... I'm seriously excited by the potential with all this, and I can't wait to see where I'm at in a few months. Couple of things I'm wondering though:

1. Up till now I've always had a protein shake after a workout, but judging by the Zone literature that sounds like it's actually a bad idea... any help on that?
2. How accurate is the BF chart in the back? I ask because my BF scale has me at 18.5% whereas the book has me at 15%. Also my wife is 27% on the scale and 32% according to the book.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jonathan Slater : 01-25-2008 at 08:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-25-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Re: First couple of days on the zone... first couple of questions.

#2 Funny as it sounds I would trust the tape measure method from the book over an electronic scale that gives you a number, they will change hour to hour.

#1 I don't remember Sears having a problem with a protein shake as long as it is balanced, maybe I need to re-read. I would however suggest you get as much of your calories from real favorable sources and LOW GI CARBS.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
Jonathan Greene

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Slater View Post
1. Up till now I've always had a protein shake after a workout, but judging by the Zone literature that sounds like it's actually a bad idea... any help on that?
2. How accurate is the BF chart in the back? I ask because my BF scale has me at 18.5% whereas the book has me at 15%. Also my wife is 27% on the scale and 32% according to the book.
1. Post-workout nutrition is much debated. But if you want to keep it strictly "Zone", Dr. Sears deems it important to eat 30 mins prior to exercise and does not mention anywhere that I have seen about altering your feeding post-workout. He just wants you to stick to feeding every 3 - 5 hours.

I definitely perform better when I eat 30mins - 1 hour prior to going all out at a workout. This is especially true since switching to The Zone where it seems like your carbs are metered out just enough to fuel you for the next 3 - 5 hours.

2. I don't think either method is very accurate. The "book" method is more precise in terms of repeatable results so I am sticking with it for now. If the result for your bodyfat % is off from the actual amount it will only change your block count and, assuming the method used is reasonably accurate, then not by much. Block counts are estimated and therefore will often need to be tweaked anyway based on your own insulin response, metabolism, and actual activity level.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I'm not sure about the body fat question, but as far as PWO nutrition goes, I think I remember reading that it's ok provided that it's balanced out in blocks. You may also want to check out "The Athlete's Zone," also by Dr. Sears, I believe. I haven't read it, but I've heard it caters a lot more to athletes (durrr) and athletic nutrition (durrr again).

I prefer to stick to the meal, meal, snack, meal, snack plan, and just skip all of the other pre/post workout nutritions unless it happens to also be time for a snack or a meal. I can't really workout on a full stomach, and usually if I'm taxed after a workout, there is only an hour (tops) between my next snack or meal -- surprisingly water holds me over really well until then.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
Nick Hanson

Profile:

I work out in the morning and do a protein shake as part of my breakfast. I am 4 blocker, so here's how it breaks out for me.

Protein Powder = 2 block - Protein
blueberries - 2 cups = 2 blocks carbs
Yogurt - 1/2 cup = 1 block carbs/1 block protein
1/2 orange = 1 block
slivered almonds - guessing round 12 total = 4 blocks fat.

So totals are 3 blocks protein/4 blocks carbs/4 blocks fat.

I always cook an egg too in order to get my last block of protein.

Have fun.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:45 PM   #6
Jay Roughton

Profile:

Not to rain on your awesome zone meal parade Nick, but 2 cups of blueberries is 4 blocks of carbs according to the crossfit journal that contains all the food lists. 1/2 cup of blueberries is 1 block. Just wanted to keep you on track...Maybe it was just a typo! Happy Crossfitting!
Old 01-26-2008, 03:38 AM   #7
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Actually, if you go to the zone website there's a section on one of the dropdown tabs that discusses Zone for athletes.

So:
1) He suggests a pre exercise Zone "loading" where you eat a one block snack about a half hour or so before your session begins.
- Within 30 mins. PWO consume a Zone shake or meal. He states that shakes are optimal as liquid meals are quickly absorbed, allowing you to take full advantage of the growth potential. Follow up in 1-2 hours with a Zone snack/shake. This can make planning your blocks a bit funky.
2) Trust the tape measure method more than a scale, I think they're called Tanita scales. Still though, I think that the best way to measure body fat is to.... look in the mirror or have someone take a polaroid of you so you can see yourself "after the fact". I know that I tend to have more dysmorphia (sp?) looking in a mirror than at a picture. As for figuring out blocks... CFJ 21 (and it's free!) should get you started.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:10 AM   #8
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
As for figuring out blocks... CFJ 21 (and it's free!) should get you started.
Well... free +$5.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
Jonathan Greene

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Donahey View Post
Well... free +$5.
While Journal 21 is still up for sale in the store, at sometime CF graciously made it available for free.

It can be found here:
http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...ue21_May04.pdf
Old 01-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #10
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Greene View Post
While Journal 21 is still up for sale in the store, at sometime CF graciously made it available for free.

It can be found here:
http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...ue21_May04.pdf
Well, I'll be pickled in brine!