CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-06-2006, 08:16 PM   #1
Josh Briggs

Profile:
A friend of mine emailed me the link to the following popular (in Canada) cleanse:

http://www.wrc.net/wrcnet_content/di...diet_12day.htm

It seems to me to be a good, solid nutritional precription... not a bad thing to do once a year or so.

Their candida diet (http://www.wrc.net/wrcnet_content/di...ndida_diet.htm)
also appears solid, but the weight loss program (http://www.wrc.net/wrcnet_content/di...ss_program.htm)
looks like bunk to me...

adjusting your metabolic rate to burn fat, and convert weight into muscle, by not eating!?!

Anyone have any experience with the so-called "master cleanse" (lemon juice, maple syrup, and cayanne pepper in water, drunk lots, for 10 days, and nothing else)?

Other cleanses... successes... failures?
Old 03-08-2006, 12:17 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I don't like these "cleanses". Punctuatedc shrt fasts have a load of merit...the stuff these folks push has a load of bad with little good IMO.

They always end up pushing vegetarianism too.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
This comes up every once and a while. The cleanse people always talk about "toxic buildup" and feces and rotting food sticking in the intestine. This seems to make sense and may have had some merit in the middle ages but, as a cop, I go to a lot of autopsies. They cut the stomach and the intestines open and...nothing but liquid with chunks of the last meal floating around...sorry, the cleanse stuff is BS. When people drink the cleanse powder and a ton of stuff comes out the other end...their drinking powdered clay, that's clay being reconstituted and coming out the other end!
Old 03-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #4
Don Woodson

Profile:
Yes Larry is right. I'd read that the magic cleansing powder is actually used to seal leaking ponds. When introduced to water, bentonite swells to 12-15 times it's dry volume. So when you swallow a little of it, it swells up really big, fooling takers into thinking all that giant poop is stuff that has been sitting in your bowels for ages.
http://www.malibuwater.com/PondBentonite.html
But if you really enjoy pooping that much, you can get a hundred pound bag of it for around eight bucks.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:34 PM   #5
Taha Mohamedali

Profile:
I've tried the master cleanse, I only did it for ~5 days though. I heard about it through a capoeria class, they were all doing it once in a while to "supplement" their training. Initially I felt hungry, but I dropped a lot of weight very very fast. I dropped about 9-11 lbs in about 6 days. How? I think it was the fact there was nothing in my stomach / intenstines. Also, the sodium/potassium intake was close to 0, so I must have been severly dehydrated at the cellular level. I lost a bunch of subcutaneous water, I consequently looked a lot leaner. My teeth began to hurt after day 4 due to the maple syrup intake. One good thing that did come from it is that I was 10 lbs lighter so all my bodyweight stuff became temporarily easier and I broke through a muscle-up plateau. I could always do one muscle up, then take a couple of mins break and do another one. The week I was on the cleanse, I popped out 5! And have been able to ever since. If you're curious, I say go for it - for the 10 days or until as long as you can withstand it, if anything good comes of it, try it again. i wouldn't recommend pushing it through for 40 days like it says some people do.

As for other cleansing stuff... I'm on something called "advance cleanse" by renew life. I'm having some trouble with the night time capsule, the day time one is fine..... it's nice to feel empty inside... helps a bunch with Yoga practice and the like. It seems a little harsh on the system though.