CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-02-2006, 08:13 AM   #1
Jay Jack

Profile:
I'm super interested in the paleo diet, but I have a question. A lot of the nutritional information I've read in the past suggests a shake directly after workouts (they have a lot of reasons I'm sure you've all heard before). My question is, does the paleo diet suggest that isn't neccessary, or are there "paleo freindly" shakes? Right now I eat paleo except for the post workout shakes, just curious if there's really a basis for it or is it just my last ditch clinging on to the old eating habits? Any help?
Old 02-02-2006, 08:51 AM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
The book "Peleo Diet for Athletes" gets into the pre and post-workout nutrition realms, but from what I gather, this is of the most benefit for longer, endurance-based efforts rather than normal strength and conditioning. I would say drop the shakes and see if you notice any drop in performance/well-being. I would doubt that would be the case.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
My only post-workout shake is what appears to be my breathing pattern after a hard WOD...:lol:

You could always do a board search of 'meat shake', that's about as close to a Paleo-Zone-friendly PWO shake I've seen (my own recipe). This next weekend I get to finally restock with grassfed beef liver...

Dr. G
Old 02-02-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
John Vernon

Profile:
Optimum Nutrition makes a egg protein shake that I take. It's about as close as you'll find to being paleo-friendly. I've taken other shakes in the past which I didn't care for because of their lactose inducing side-effects.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
Rob McBee

Profile:
I take this stuff called "Jay Robb's Egg White Protein". The label says it only contains the eggwhite protein and digestive enzymes. No additives or artificial whatnot.

I mix it with a cup of blueberries or ice/cinnamon. It has virtually no flavor by itself in water.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:00 PM   #6
John Vivian

Profile:
Jay, i think this depends on how you are training and how much you are training.

If you are training once per day, then simply going with a Zone-Paleo meal post-workout should be fine. i typically wait 30-60 minutes before eating after i workout.

That said, from some discussions on this board and another i frequent, it has been suggested that for those engaging in more than one heavy workout / training session per day, a post-workout carb load is recommended. Some folks around here have recommended (low-fat) chocolate milk as a good post-workout recovery drink (3:1 carb to protein ratio, apparently the ideal mix, and i think is also approximately what the Paleo Diet for Athletes suggests). Perhaps multiple training sessions falls into a similar category as the long endurance work Jesse referred to.

To sum up, from what i can gather, if you are only working out once a day then a Zone-Paleo meal would be fine for post-workout nutrition. If you are engaging in multiple, heavy training sessions, then you might want to experiment a little with some simple carbs and a bit of protein post-workout (30 - 60 minutes), then a Zone-Paleo meal another hour or so later.

Hope this helps. Love to see other thoughts and ideas on this, as i have recently started training a couple of times per day.

john
Old 02-04-2006, 01:03 AM   #7
Jay Jack

Profile:
I do CF in the am's and, mon through sat, sport specific training at our Academy in the evenings/afternoons. I fight pro in MMA and also compete a lot in Jiu-jitsu and submission wrestling, so when I'm on a pre fight/comp training cycle both of the sessions are brutal (like fight gone bad, pukie brutal). In the "off" times the am CF is just as prescribed and the afternoons I train but not 100%. In addition to my own training I usually put in some time rolling and sparring with our students to help them train. So I'm not sure if I'd qualify for the post workout shake or not? If so, what kind of numbers should it have? BTW I've already decided I'm getting the paleo for athletes book that's been mentioned, I'm just impatient. Thanks for the help so far.