CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #41
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: HELP! How to get bigger as ectomorph!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Texas Method = awesomer > starting strength.
Yea, but is it best for a novince too?
Old 09-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #42
Phil Washlow

Profile:

I would suggest switching out the skim milk for whole milk (John Welbourn suggests a gallon of whole milk a day if you don't have a lactose or casein issue) and find more high fat sources of calories. The caloric density of the fat will allow you to get more calories without such a high volume of food (my morning coffee has 600 calories in it!). I think a macro breakdown that you could aim for would be something like 300g carbs, 200g protein, 120g fat.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #43
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Washlow View Post
(my morning coffee has 600 calories in it!). .
Mine have 810 kcal and I still think of adding a bit more...
Old 09-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #44
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Yea, but is it best for a novince too?
Yes. It is a more well rounded program. There is not reason a novice should use less efficient programming than an intermediate in my opinion.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #45
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Yes. It is a more well rounded program. There is not reason a novice should use less efficient programming than an intermediate in my opinion.
Quote:
The Novice Effect

Let's first review why the simple linear progression described in Starting Strength is the ideal choice for novices.

Young men adapt quickly if they're stressed, fed, and rested enough. I learned this simple programming fact from running a gym for decades, showing everybody how to use the barbell exercises and watching what happened to them.

It's called the novice effect: guys who've started out with a simple program, approached it diligently and intelligently, and have gained 30-40 pounds of useful bodyweight in just a few months while more than doubling their strength and power.
I am not even sure OP knows his 5RM so he could start the texas method
Old 09-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #46
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
I am not even sure OP knows his 5RM so he could start the texas method
He could find it easily. There are beginner, intermediate and advanced templates and I have all 3.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #47
David Finney

Profile:

Here's my 3 tips (they worked for me)

1. Ditch the metcons. Completely. Those metcons are burning all those extra calories you're putting in, and undoing a lot of the work you're doing.

2. Eat more. Peanut butter and whole milk are your friends. Protein Shakes are supplements. Supplements are meant to be consumed IN ADDITION to your normal diet, not compose it.

3. Try taking more rest days and sleep more. I found that more sleep and more rest actually have me more strength gains. For whatever reason, my body can recover very quickly from metcons/endurance events, but takes much longer to recover strength training. I took a week off to go to the beach a few months ago, and when I came back, I pr'ed in all my lifts.

Porter and Stout beer have a lot of calories. Just throwing that out there...
Old 09-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #48
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Finney View Post
Here's my 3 tips (they worked for me)

1. Ditch the metcons. Completely. Those metcons are burning all those extra calories you're putting in, and undoing a lot of the work you're doing.

2. Eat more. Peanut butter and whole milk are your friends. Protein Shakes are supplements. Supplements are meant to be consumed IN ADDITION to your normal diet, not compose it.

3. Try taking more rest days and sleep more. I found that more sleep and more rest actually have me more strength gains. For whatever reason, my body can recover very quickly from metcons/endurance events, but takes much longer to recover strength training. I took a week off to go to the beach a few months ago, and when I came back, I pr'ed in all my lifts.

Best first post ever.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #49
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Preston View Post
Eat more eat more eat more... got it.

Yesterday: oatmeal w/ protein powder, banana, clif bar w/ peanut butter, chicken and peperjack sandwich, clif bar w/ peanut butter, carrots, a massive steak sandwich w/ blue cheese and arugula, a SMALL coffee cup of ice cream (so stoked to have ice cream again!). Also, drank about 12 ounces of skim milk.

Today (so far/planned): 3 eggs w/ cheese & skim milk & 1 slice whole wheat toast, banana, granola bar w/ peanut butter, steak sandwich w/ carrots & grapes, granola bar w/ peanut butter, banana, WORKOUT: mix of strength and metcon, post-workout protein/creatine drink, probably steak for dinner again (I bought 3lbs yesterday, sliced it into thin strips, cooked it all, and am keeping it in my fridge for whenever I get hungry.)

Does this sound appropriate? I felt EXTREMELY full all day yesterday, and feel very full now... maybe I'm just not used to feeling full... or maybe I'm overdoing it?

Also, trust me... being an attorney does NOT necessarily = smart... I know a lot of dumb attorneys out there... including myself in some aspects. Obviously, I was dumb to think that I had a good diet going for so many months.
Do you understand the concept of calories? How many calories do you think you might need to gain weight? How many are you eating per day now?
Old 09-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #50
Eric Preston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Finney View Post
haha... I love it! "No babe, I HAVE to drink 1 more beer..."

My protein intake the past 2.5 days is about equal to my fat intake and about 1/3 of my carb intake... If I want to increase the percentage of my protein intake... I'll probably have to do 1 protein shake on days I don't lift and 2 on days I do. Does that sound right/good?

I've been eating a LOT of peanut butter, steak, and carrots... and the occasional granola bar.