CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
Joseph Regan
Member Joseph Regan is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cyrpess  TX
Posts: 151
Re: Renegade Diet

jayme,

From my understanding that part of it is like the Lean Gains protocol by Martin Berkham. No if you are just doing morning cardio then you dont have to eat the carbs post workout. Most of the fasting gurus recommend just drinking about 10 grams of bcaa's before you start your cardio to prevent muscle loss.

I have done the intermittent fasting thing in the past with great results. It gets easier the longer you do it. I could stop eating at 8pm and not eat again until noon the next day (16 hour fast). I just drank some coffee with whole cream.

Its not as bad as you think and before long you have went 12, 14, then 16 hours and dont feel it. I actually have a ton of energy when i use intermittent fasting.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
Paulo Santos
Banned Paulo Santos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hopatcong  NJ
Posts: 2,164
Re: Renegade Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
I'm not completely sure I want to try this, given the thought of fasting for that long and having to breakdown my meals so much into specifics. BUT, if I were to try it I'm curious about something. I do cardio first thing in the morning 4-5 days a week then lift M/W/F after work. Would I still do the protein/banana after the morning workout?
Depends on your goal. If your goal is extreme fat loss, then you won't have carbs post morning workout. If your goal is fat loss, then have 1 banana. If your goal is to build mass, have 2 bananas.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #13
Paulo Santos
Banned Paulo Santos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hopatcong  NJ
Posts: 2,164
Re: Renegade Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Regan View Post
also on #4 is that 20-35g or protein and 10-15grams of fats total for that 4 hours or is that with each meal since you can have 1-4 meals in that time frame?
It is supposed to be the total for the 4 hours, but I honestly don't count because I only have two meals in those first 4 hours, so I know I don't go over the 35.

Have fruits in the 4-8pm over eating phase. The total amount of carbs depends on your weight, goals, and BF percentage.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #14
Jayme Gruber
Member Jayme Gruber is offline
 
Jayme Gruber's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh  PA
Posts: 617
Re: Renegade Diet

How effective is this in cutting body fat?

I really don't like the idea of fasting, but I also have been trying to lose this belly for the last 10 years.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
Todd R Bailey
Member Todd R Bailey is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Natick  MA
Posts: 128
Re: Renegade Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
How effective is this in cutting body fat?

I really don't like the idea of fasting, but I also have been trying to lose this belly for the last 10 years.
If everything else is dialed in, it can be effective. By everything else, I mean you are eating clean, getting 8+ hours of sleep, training smartly, not stressed, not otherwise sick.

Intermittent fasting is a stressor on the body. If you have a stressful job, are getting 5 hours of sleep and hitting double mainsite wods everyday, the additional stress of fasting may be counterproductive.

Like most people, you're probably somewhere in the middle of those two extremes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #16
Jayme Gruber
Member Jayme Gruber is offline
 
Jayme Gruber's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh  PA
Posts: 617
Re: Renegade Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd R Bailey View Post
If everything else is dialed in, it can be effective. By everything else, I mean you are eating clean, getting 8+ hours of sleep, training smartly, not stressed, not otherwise sick.

Intermittent fasting is a stressor on the body. If you have a stressful job, are getting 5 hours of sleep and hitting double mainsite wods everyday, the additional stress of fasting may be counterproductive.

Like most people, you're probably somewhere in the middle of those two extremes.
I eat pretty damn clean. Try to do cardio in the mornings M-F do GSLP 3 days a week and might do 1 WOD a week on the weekend. Usually get 7-8 hours of sleep, am never sick and don't have a high stress job. I'm sure drinking on the weekends is my main downfall. I've been trying to just make it one night a week and stay away from beer (Jack & water) obviously cutting it out altogether would be best but I'm single and live in the city, I can't bring myself to stay in all weekend. I'd really just like to have a flat stomach (vain or not, I don't care) so I'm willing to try this if it's effective. It's been a work in progress for like 8 years ever since I lost a lot of weight in college but never got completely rid of the belly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #17
Joseph Regan
Member Joseph Regan is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cyrpess  TX
Posts: 151
Re: Renegade Diet

Jayme,

Your make and model sounds like me, lol. I eat really clean, do 3to4 WODS a week, 2 strength days a week and try to live a somewhat normal life. I can get below 10% bf pretty easily but usually hover around 12% or so. I did a photo shoot for a fitness magazine 3 years ago and got down to 4%bf. But that was really tough and i found out why. One thing that has helped me is to understand my hormones. What i mean is I have found that i have lower test level and higher estrogen levels with high cortosol. For people like us, its very important to get our hormones in balance. We can usually see our upper abs but we carry our fat in our lower abs, love handles and lower back. The author of the diet, does emphasize hormonal balance. Also people like me have to watch their carb intake and TIMING very closely. Carbs are not bad but you must time them properly and this diet does a good job at that.

Just my 2 cents
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #18
Jayme Gruber
Member Jayme Gruber is offline
 
Jayme Gruber's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh  PA
Posts: 617
Re: Renegade Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Regan View Post
Jayme,

Your make and model sounds like me, lol. I eat really clean, do 3to4 WODS a week, 2 strength days a week and try to live a somewhat normal life. I can get below 10% bf pretty easily but usually hover around 12% or so. I did a photo shoot for a fitness magazine 3 years ago and got down to 4%bf. But that was really tough and i found out why. One thing that has helped me is to understand my hormones. What i mean is I have found that i have lower test level and higher estrogen levels with high cortosol. For people like us, its very important to get our hormones in balance. We can usually see our upper abs but we carry our fat in our lower abs, love handles and lower back. The author of the diet, does emphasize hormonal balance. Also people like me have to watch their carb intake and TIMING very closely. Carbs are not bad but you must time them properly and this diet does a good job at that.

Just my 2 cents
Where would I go to test these hormone levels? As of now the only carbs I really eat are 2 tbs of PB in the morning. Vegetables with lunch and dinner, sweet potatoes with dinner and I have rice with lunch on lifting days. Also, I did a bodpod bodyfat test probably last summer and I was at 18% I'm 5'10" 170 and don't carry much fat other than in the areas you mentioned. I was like 225 at one point in college and it's been a struggle ever since I lost the majority of it to trim the waistline down.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #19
Joseph Regan
Member Joseph Regan is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cyrpess  TX
Posts: 151
Re: Renegade Diet

You can go to your doctor and have a full blood panel done as well as testosterone, estrogen, and cortosol (But some doctors don't ask for cortosol). This will tell you a lot. Will also tell you how overall healthy you are in regards to cholesterol, liver, kidneys etc.....

I would recommend anyone over the age of 35 get a blood panel done at least once a year anyway. My 2 cents.

Also if you buy the renegade book or really study into it, you will understand why that PB in the morning isnt necessary the best for you. Breakfast is the most mythed meal of the day and a lot of what he says in the book has been proven.

Last edited by Joseph Regan : 05-23-2013 at 10:07 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #20
Paulo Santos
Banned Paulo Santos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hopatcong  NJ
Posts: 2,164
Re: Renegade Diet

Here is a Renegade Diet that "and2celtics" on Bodybuilding Forum came up with.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attach...1&d=1369408535 (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IF, renegade, and Crossfit Evan Peikon Nutrition 7 05-14-2013 09:56 PM
Renegade diet/Intermittent Fasting with Paleo/Primal Jeffrey Hensley Nutrition 7 02-06-2013 03:52 PM
Renegade rows Dennis Yiatras Exercises 10 02-16-2006 01:20 PM
"Renegade Rows" Greg Beesch Exercises 8 05-11-2004 09:43 AM
Renegade Weekends Parth Shah Fitness 3 03-20-2004 08:31 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.