CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-19-2003, 11:34 AM   #1
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

I am going to try eating nothing but meat and eggs for the next couple weeks. Last time I did this I gained muscle and looked a lot more lean after everything was said and done. Any thoughts and or suggestions pertaining to this?

-Jonathon
Old 09-19-2003, 11:39 AM   #2
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Don't forget your veggies, nuts, and seeds! :-)
Old 09-19-2003, 01:18 PM   #3
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Brad,
Come on man, you are going to make Jay hate us! For a short time it would probably be alright.
You and I are the same age, and admit it, we have done some crazy things to!

Jay,
That is just a variation on the Adkins Diet. Do a little reading on the Paleo page before you make a decision. Remember, Dr. Adkins just had a massive heart attack. Coincidence?
Old 09-19-2003, 03:17 PM   #4
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Yeah - I know the potential side effects. But, and this is a big but! Most people on atkins also eat copious amounts of cheese and all sorts of processed garbage. Many people do not even eat real meat and opt for processed crap (I will only be eating fresh meat and Omega 3 enriched eggs). I do not plan on doing this long term. Hell, maybe not even for more than a couple days. Just curious. I plan on reverting back to a Paleo style of eating after this anyway. I do appreciate the concern and advice though :-)

-Jay
Old 09-19-2003, 03:20 PM   #5
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Yeah.. I remember a weekend when I lived off of beer and beef jerky. Ah.. the good ole days of Boy Scouts. :-)
Old 09-19-2003, 03:49 PM   #6
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Jay,
There is a phrase that I use to develop my Marines. Here is my pearl of wisdom, "Any action or decision, aggressively pursued, is better than the hell of indecision."

Brad,
Wasn't that weekend a couple weeks ago, right before the Pukie photo?
Frank
Old 09-19-2003, 04:35 PM   #7
Anonymous

Profile:  
Regarding Atkins condition...The episode was caused by cardiomyopathy, a condition in which the heart's ability to pump blood is weakened because of enlargement, thickening or stiffening of the heart muscle.

In Atkins' case, cardiomyopathy was caused by an infection that spread to his heart muscle.

"I have had cardiomyopathy, which is a non-coronary condition and is in no way related to diet," Atkins said in a statement.

Old 09-19-2003, 05:44 PM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

And he (Atkins) managed an unfortunate death from brain impact . . . fell on an icy patch near his NYC offices this spring, hit his head, and died in a coma a couple of days later.

Bummer . . . he never got a chance to live to 95 (to prove his critics wrong), and his critics never got to see him have a heart attack from his "dangerous" diet.

Dave
Old 09-19-2003, 05:46 PM   #9
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I could be wrong, but the article I read in the paper on him said he slipped on ice and fell and hit his head. I'm 98% sure that's what killed him, but you guys may have read something saying a heart condition is why he fell.

I have talked to so many people who have had good results with Adkins that about the only bad thing I would say about it is that eating only meat gets really, really old. Eggs make you fart, too, and they apparently have a lot of sulphur in them.

I personally like the Zone diet: adequate protein, plenty of veggies--which we all know have antioxidants and phytochemicals that are good for you, "good" fats, and mild caloric restriction, if followed properly. Take your fish oil and Vitamin E, Magnesium and Vitamin C. Don't get hungry. Drink enough water.

The key thing is to not drink 6 packs of beer with Cheetos, even if it tastes really good (especially those really hot Cheetos)and goes well with football.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:01 AM   #10
Coach

Profile:

Atkins suffered a cardiac arrest over a year ago while breakfasting with another cardiologist. The condition was entirely unrelated to coronary heart disease (plugged arteries) but caused by an infection that found it's way through the pericardium. The University of Texas Southwestern Department of Internal Medicine quickly, responsibly, and accurately issued a statement explaining that this affliction is entirely unrelated to diet or lifestyle.

Unrelated, Dr. Atkins slipped on a patch of ice outside of his clinic in Manhattan and landed on the back of his head. The injuries to his brain were terminal.

There's a fascinating paralell between Dr. Atkins and Dr. Pasteur. Dr. Pasteur had the temerity to suggest that tiny microbes on physicians unwashed hands were the cause of post partum septicemia (it absolutely was) for which he was ridiculed, chastised, and defamed by the medical community througout most of his life. Dr. Atkins had the temerity to suggest that the high carb/low fat diet espoused by the medical community was the cause of atherosclerotic disease (it absolutely is) for which he was ridiculed, chastised, and defamed by the medical community througout most of his life.

Dr. Atkins is deserving, sadly posthumously, of a Nobel Prize in medicine for remaining steadfast against what has been the most colossal mistep in the history of science.

Coach