CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Mark Barchony

Profile:
Cardio or Strength

I am finding my cardio is increasing at a quicker rate than my strength. Thus I am finding in some WODS that I can't handle enough weight to really maximize intensity. Is this normal? Suggestions on what to do if anything?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Cardio or Strength

What does your programming look like? If it's metcon-heavy, then it's not surprising that you'd be improving conditioning but not strength.

If you're not getting strong as fast as you want, the obvious answer is to do a program that incorporates strength work on the big lifts on a 2-4x per week basis.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Mark Barchony

Profile:

Eric

I follow the homepage WODS and scale as needed
Old 01-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Then it's unlikely you'll see significant strength gains in a short period of time. Most people struggling to handle rx'd weights find it much more efficient to follow one of the hybrid strength programs for awhile to get their strength up quickly.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Your observation of your performance has been a common theme to folks following main site. There are a multitude of options available to you to increase strength but I would simply suggest if you want to get stronger, then make that a focus in your training and don't sweat it if you lose a few seconds off your metcon times.

I'm not suggesting you abandon metcon in favor of a power lifting routine but I am suggesting you make metcon work secondary in the hierarchy of your training.

I like the simplicity and effectiveness of GSLP. (there is a thread on it). But there are several other popular options depending on your overall goals. Others will offer up their favorites.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

From what I understand, strength takes a long time to build (and a long time to lose). Whereas cardio takes little time to see improvements, as your body adapts faster to it.

If you think about it, if you put in the same amount of work with running and chest press for example, you're much more likely to see a quicker drop in your half mile time from 3:00 to 2:42 than you will see an increase in your chest press from 200 to 220. (both 10% improvements)

Makes sense to me anyways.