CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 11-09-2006, 02:38 PM   #11
Ro Bostick

Profile:
Found the youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65jovqRDaDs
(safe for work I guess. He's shirtless though :nono0000: )
Old 11-09-2006, 09:26 PM   #12
Cameron Mochrie

Profile:
re; deadlift form is something ive really tried to work on lately. Yesterday I did about 5 sets with pretty light weight and really focused on sitting back and pulling. I found that on a couple reps I sort of fell back onto my heels near the top of the movement (toes lifted up off the ground and had to take a small step back). Does this mean I am just leaning back way too much at the beginning of the lift or is it a problem within the lift? Or even something I should worry about?
Old 11-10-2006, 05:39 AM   #13
Ro Bostick

Profile:
Hard to say Cameron without seeing your lift in action, but typically that's a sign you're generating a lot of force off the floor, which is a good thing. Of course it could also be a sign that you're leaning too far backwards with your upper body. keep in mind that even though you're supposed to sit back you still need to stand straight up, don't pull the weight up by leaning backwards as many people try to do. use your hips more and push your pelvis forward as you come up. On a side note: me and some friends had lunch with kirk karwoski and his former coach marty Gallagher after a seminar last month and kirk said its very hard for him to do warm up sets without tipping backwards because of how he was trained to explode off the floor. Essentially he's pulling so fast off the floor that he needs the heavier weight to act as sort of a counterbalance to keep from falling backward. Obviously kirk is in a whole different league as most of us, but it was an interesting tidbit
Old 11-10-2006, 09:55 AM   #14
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Interesting video. However, what it shows is that Koklyaev clearly does not "pull with his on the floor." By the time he's actually pulling at all, his hips are above his knees and his shoulder blades are directly above the bar (so the front of his deltoids are actually in front of it a bit). Watch for it. In fact, if you pause the video at 1:49 you get a perfect shot of it.

"Sit back" is good advice in the sense that you have to drive through the heels to in the left (and think of pushing the weight away from the floor with your legs rather than pulling it with your upper body), but one should not, imo, sit back and down so that the hips are way low. (Of course the exact angles and all will vary for different size and shape people.)

Really, this article is good: http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...ofDeadlift.pdf
Old 11-14-2006, 11:56 AM   #15
Ro Bostick

Profile:
hey aaron, here's a nice clip of Derek pomana deadlifting someone just sent me today. His form is pretty good. Watch how he pushes off with his hips. And wait for the second lift and you can see his set up. Not the best viewing angle but good enough
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugJZi50KR2Q (work safe)
Old 11-14-2006, 01:49 PM   #16
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Ro,
Why the two reds on that second lift?
Old 11-14-2006, 03:17 PM   #17
Ro Bostick

Profile:
not certain but he didn't appear to lockout on the right shoulder. if you look closely you can see its dipped slightly forward
Old 11-14-2006, 04:38 PM   #18
Andy Shirley

Profile:
a nice youtube powerlifting video, work family safe. Lots of heavy DLs on here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr4JH...elated&search=