CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-28-2006, 02:36 PM   #11
Eva Twardokens

Profile:
In my opinion, MOST of those moves had the ROM of the ol' ab crunch. The squat to behind the neck press would have been beautifully subbed with a thruster. It is too bad that at his level, no one saw the lack of completeness in the movements, but I can tell you from my experience with a national team, it is not uncommon. Sad.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:57 AM   #12
Ralph Coates

Profile:
yeah that did seem a strange way to do those movements - completely broke up the flow of the complex as he had to readjust his stance before every push press.

It's easy for us to criticise though - I guess you have to look at why he's doing these and what importance he is placing on it. I suspect that providing he's not hurting himself and it's succeeding in getting him breathless then he's gonna be happy. No doubt his form would be better for more strength-orientated work... I hope anyway.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:58 AM   #13
Brian Reckdenwald

Profile:
I guess his idea of high intensity is a little different from some things I've seen...like Diane in 1:49.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:35 AM   #14
William Winger

Profile:
So, just to recap, if you saw anyone (not Randy or other professional athlete) doing that... you'd stop them, right? I've got to agree with Keith that he may be succeeding in spite of his training... so why are we giving him a break?

Disclaimer: I don't follow professional MMA, but even if he's the best, I'd suspect he's got training 'secrets' he's not showing us. Or as Keith said, his in-ring training must be where the real work is done.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:56 PM   #15
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Randy's actually always been very open about his training, William. There's a couple videos like that one floating around on the net, plus the Team Quest Strength & Conditioning DVD - on the DVD they show weight training, box jumping drills, medicine ball drills, all sorts of stuff, plus a bunch of sparring footage at the end. The Team Quest guys do put a lot of time into sparring and drilling techniques.

Personally I think what made a difference for Randy for a lot of years was that he was a career athlete in a sport where not a lot of guys were. The amateur wrestlers coming into MMA were at a distinct advantage athletically to the traditional martial arts guys and the bar brawlers. Randy had much more of an idea how to train (even if it wasn't perfect in hindsight) and to prepare his body. (He also managed to avoid any major injuries throughout his wrestling and fighting career.)

As MMA has become more of a legit sport and folks are able to make a real career out of it, that has changed some, as the training has been improving over time as well.