CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #31
John Powell

Profile:
Re: Torn Glute

Steven,

I think you are right, unfortunately my insurance is very quickly running out and it needs to last until the end of the year. The first Chiro I saw for this was definitely a dinosaur (hadn't brushed up on things since the 80s) but the guy I've been going to I was sure was the guy. He's young, he lifts, is a master ART practitioner yada yada. I think I may continued on my own for now to try to make improvements and when I get a bit deeper into the year, go and find someone.

Manuel,

I had the proper MRI yesterday, results in 7 days. While we don't have to pay for these in Canada, we wait for months for them unless it's an emergency. I really don't thing it is going to show any muscular damage though. It has been 8 months since the injury, and I have taken 6 weeks completely off, as well as following Steven's site for strains and tear (injecting fish oil directly into my veins ) and none of this helped. The ONLY inprovement came after the spinal MRI showed a bulge at l5s1 and I bought Stuart McGill's book. The fact that I have done his exercises daily for 6 weeks and still have leg pain, makes me think there is more going on than just this.

My initial injury felt like my SI shifted or popped and I had a shooting pain from the SI, diagonally down to my greater trochanter. I had no trouble squatting initially, but had pain lifting anything from a deadlift position. Still, even lifting laundry baskets from in front of me feels weak and at times painful.
I have had very little back pain at all. Certainly no more than I have had for the last few years. Stiff back in the morning, occasional bout with back pain that heals up within a few days.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #32
John Powell

Profile:

As expected, nothing of note from MRI on my right hip.

I think I've narrowed it down to 2 things: SI joint disfunction or hip labral tear. Now I get to play the wonerful waiting game of Canadian Health Care so I can get someone to refer me for a hip MRI with contrast to detect a possible tear.

Funny thing though- I stopped drinking coffee about a week ago and have seen tremendous improvement since. I was a 2-3 cup a day guy. Starting on about the second day off of coffee, I noticed that I had no back pain when I woke up. It's hard to explain, but I feel much less tense in my back and hips without the caffeine. Rest is better as well so this may be helping.

While I am still getting SI and hip/leg pain it is much less frequent and more importantly, the pain dissipates much quicker than it used to.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:36 AM   #33
John Powell

Profile:

MRI Arthrogram confirmed a labral tear yesterday! The radiologist and I have a mutual friend, so he called me in to his office afterwards and showed me the "area of concern" on screen. He is forwarding my images to a radiologist who is well versed on hips to confirm but he said that he is almost certain it is a tear and it is definitely "not normal".

Kind of sad that I am happy about this, since it will mean surgery, but it feels great to have finally identified where the problem is.