CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #21
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Torn Glute

Hmmm. Might not be a bad idea to get some sort of SI belt to hold it in proper place while you do rehab then. Or some other alterative.

Adjustments SHOULD stay in place with proper exercises. If they keep having to be readjusted then there's other issues that need to be taken care of.

Chronic adjustments are very bad news.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #22
John Powell

Profile:

I went to Chiro today and he said that I certainly do have an issue with my SI. He demonstrated that my right SI (symptomatic side) is much more mobile than the left where I have no symptoms. He said that some experts feel that the SI doesn't need much mobility so is it possible that my right is too mobile? I asked but got a bit of a round about answer.

Are there any exercises that I should be doing in addition to curlups, side bridges, bird dogs as well as hip mobility? I do glute activation stuff a couple of times a week as well. Is there anything that targets the SI more directly?

I have also noticed while doing glute exercises that in the clamshell exercise, I can barely get my legs apart (maybe 12" at most). Maybe important maybe not
Old 04-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #23
Steven Low

Profile:

Has this guy assessed your feet/ankle/knee/hips and other lumbopelvis issues that may be contributing to the SI instability? What about thoracic spine and above?

It's possible that your hip tightness can be causing some of the SI mobility and thus laxity as the motion has to be gained from somewhere else.

If the guy is gonna give you round about answers and not do a full body assessment might be time to see someone else.

You should see some results in 2-3 weeks for the most part for most injury issues. If they're not changing their program after that well.... that's an issue.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #24
John Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Has this guy assessed your feet/ankle/knee/hips and other lumbopelvis issues that may be contributing to the SI instability? What about thoracic spine and above?

It's possible that your hip tightness can be causing some of the SI mobility and thus laxity as the motion has to be gained from somewhere else.

If the guy is gonna give you round about answers and not do a full body assessment might be time to see someone else.

You should see some results in 2-3 weeks for the most part for most injury issues. If they're not changing their program after that well.... that's an issue.
He did a fairly comprehensive assessment when I first saw him (an hour or so) I have been to see 2 other chiros in the past and I am confident that this guy is the best of the bunch. He adjusts my T spine at each visit as well. I've been seeing him every 10 days or so. I also like that he is very open about trying different things, even things that I suggest.

That being said, the SI adjustment seems to be fairly standard among chiros. Every chiro visit I have ever been to has started with this. Since my more mobile SI joint is the one that was injured and is now causing the pain, it seems like maybe it is TOO mobile (maybe initially from the injury and now from the adjustments and stretching)?

Are there any exercises that tighten up or strengthen your SI? I know it's mostly ligaments that add to the stiffness. I assume glute strength stuff would help.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #25
Steven Low

Profile:

This is really something you should be asking HIM so you can test his knowledge.

Like I said, you shouldn't have to be kept being adjusted unless you like paying money forever, and when your SI joint has become more mobile over time.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #26
John Powell

Profile:

Fair enough. I don't think I'll ask him though because I think I will hold off of adjustments for a while.

Is mobility in the SI joint one of those things that people disagree on though? Like how some folks think your lumbar should be mobile while others argue that stability is better?

I truly appreciate your advice. This is the first suggestion of an SI joint problem even after seeing 2 PTs, 2 chiros, a sports med doc and a physiatrist.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #27
Steven Low

Profile:

Joints are made to move. Anyone that tells you otherwise is wrong.

The fastest way to get arthritis and atrophy of the cartilage, muscles, ligaments, tendons, etc. is to immobilize someone... as you may know from breaking bones and getting a cast. Your tissues just shrink because of disuse.

That said, some types of movements may put anatomical structures in more compromised positions. For example, doing upright rows or sumo deadlift high pulls where you internally rotate the shoulder and bring it into abduction -- that puts the greater tubercle facing up and smashes it into the acromion. Hence, greater propensity for impingement. That's why I don't recommend certain movements that have "greater injury risk" on anatomical structures.

Likewise, something like sissy squats puts tremendous forces on the knee and thus is not likely a good idea.

The same is true for a loaded flexion of the spine, especially with a twisting motion.

This is not to say that you can safely build up to them just like you with sissy squats or flexion lifting like strongmen do with the atlas stones. Just that it is a bit more dangerous.

Thus, there is no real problem with mobility -- our joints are made to move. There is a problem with certain motions, especially under load because the joints and structures did not evolve to become strong in certain positions.

The SI joint has to have a certain amount of mobility to function correctly with the rest of the body -- it's possible for it to have too much or too little, depending on what is going on elsewhere. So that's neither here or there..... it's all relative to what's going on and if it is causing you issues with posture or movement.

Last edited by Steven Low : 04-21-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #28
John Powell

Profile:

I have continued with the core movements (McGill curlups, side bridges and bird dogs) and I have started to focus on building glute strength as I think Steven was right in that I have some issue with my SIJ.

I have been doing glute bridges quite a bit (2 legged) with a focus on glute contraction throughout the movement. I tried doing clam shells but they really seemed to irritate my glute and sciatica.

3 days ago I started using a red jump stretch band, folded over, around my knees to do the glute bridges. Pushing my knees against the band really activates glude med, min and piriformis and makes the movement much more difficult. I have made good improvements in the past 3 days, which makes it seem like what I am doing is working. Today, however, I did 3 seperate sets of the glute bridge (with an hour between each) with the band and found that all 3 times, my symptoms increased right after doing the movement. I even started feeling glute pain in my non effected side (?) No siatica in the non effected side and the glute pain subsided after about 10 minutes. It also subsided in my bad leg around the same time.

So, should I continue doing these since it seems to help?
Old 05-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #29
Steven Low

Profile:

If it helps, sure.

If it's making your symptoms worse, no.

I know you've had some pretty bad experience with chiro/PT etc but it would be a good idea to find a good one at this point.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #30
Manuel Robert Weiss

Profile:

I am curious if you have actually had the mri of your affected buttock. The imaging will typically show evidence of a tear or inflammation. A good ultrasound unit will also show the heterogenous nature of a tear or rupture esp if you compare it with the asympromatic side. After looking thru your thread here, I am not sure you have a definite diagnosis yet. Is your pain truly localized in the buttock at the glute medius ( this is below the pelvic brim to the side, and above the greater trochanter, the insertion site on your hip for the glueus medius... its the part of your proximal hip bone(femur) that sticks out a little).... or is your focused pain in the back or is it the leg?