CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #31
Jacob Vohs

Profile:
Re: Butt wink during squats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
... squatting.
Nice, I've never done that before
Old 01-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #32
Scott Mahn

Profile:

For what it's worth, Steve Maxwell has an excellent full body mobility DVD set. It's available for around $40 on Ebay.

Another nice DVD I'm working with is "Pain Free" by Egoscue. It's mostly yoga based with a few twists. It's designed to increase one's range of motion and posture. Many of the exercises address pelvic/lumbar mobility, which I think is an underrated factor in achieving and maintaining that low back arch for all of the O-lifts. I paid about $30 for levels 1 & 2 on Amazon.

I also happen to have EXTREMELY tight hamstrings (I can't touch my toes and the thought of the downward dog makes my skin crawl), but just stretching them alone only goes halfway toward freeing up that tight pelvis. It's very helpful to do mobility stuff to separate and reorient the actions of the hips, pelvis and spine.

Lastly, the CORE books by Mark Verstagen (SP?) have a lot of good warmup/mobility type movements. What I find particularly useful is that they not only work your range of motion, but also your balance. My hunch is the resultant unilateral stabilization can be very helpful in preventing injuries. I paid about $10 used via Amazon.

Last edited by Scott Mahn : 01-29-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:26 AM   #33
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I believe a guy already asked this but didn't get a specific answer. I would like to know if anyone here has at least an estimated answer to this question.

Just how flexible would one need to be, in order to consider onself flexible enough to be capable of performing good, mature squats?

I just stood up, after being sitting for an hour, and on first attempt, could not touch the floor with my legs straight... but 20 seconds later after "stretching" a bit, I can very comfortable touch the floor with my fists, and also place both hands completely flat on the floor (but not as comfortably, I have to make an effort to stay there). I always stretch throughfully before doing squats, specially the hammies... I stretch them like this, and also one leg at a time over a platform at waist high. I can, after a lot of effort and pain, place my chin a few mm beyond the kneecap (right where the shin begins) and stay there for a while - it hurts though, and I have to struggle for 10-20 seconds to just get there, it's not like I just effortlessly bend and immediately get there.

Still, I videotaped myself yesterday doing "Air Squats", and my buttwink is HUGE!! Or so I thought while watching the video.

Another thing that I wonder is: can you really go rock bottom while maintaining the lumbar arch? Because the videos demonstrating a proper squat dip just below parallel, but doesn't seem "ATG" to me.

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #34
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I've wondered the same thing about ATG squats, Arturo.

In all of the threads about the perfect "third world squat," there tends to be a ton of rounding going on.

I can third world squat just fine. And I can hold it indefinitely. But my back is rounded, and I would never, ever, put any extra weight over it, when trying to do this. I think the third world squat is more of an effective example of good flexibility, rather than good form.

I, for one, butt wink. The first step is admitting you have a problem. The second step is... well... I guess we're still working on that
Old 02-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #35
Dale Ryan Thompson

Profile:

Guys check out the video in the FAQ section they refer to as squat therapy. This will help with the Butt Wink. Also, a good dose of a GHD will help develop the Lumbar arch.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #36
Jacob Vohs

Profile:

In my opinion it is easier to do air squats with no butt wink versus low bar back squats with no butt wink. I just stretched a lot and worked on form and my butt wink is almost gone.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:54 AM   #37
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I saw the Squat Therapy video and will see what I can do tonight. I will also start stretching the hammies WHILE keeping the lumbar arch, and not rounding the back and trying to reach forward like that. I will also use the Glute-Ham-Developer and try to hold the top possition as I read in a post here (using the search function I think?) that it helps a ton.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #38
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Yesterday I had my wife film myself - it seems that squatting to a box (like in that Squat Therapy video), I can squat to even a little bit below parallel without "falling" to the box, and don't need momentum to get out of it either, can get out slowly. However, it seems that right there at the last couple of inches, the butt starts to wink just minimally. I reckon that if flexibility is an issue, I should solve it soon, since just yesterday I started adding the hammies stretch while keeping the lumbar arch. I always stretched with a round back trying to reach out beyond the toes as much as possible. I will still do that, but also the hammies-only stretch (like Pavel suggest doing it in Relax Into Stretch).

On another note, I also did the Glute-Ham Developer for 3 sets, but only trying to hold myself at the top possition... my Gosh, this is HARD!! I think I could achieve 10 seconds, but that was very hard. Then a couple of seconds rest and another go, for about 5 seconds... and that was one set (10 secs, then 5 secs). Did it just 3 times. What should I aim for here?

I might start squatting witha box behind me so I make sure I always reach the same depht and don't go ATG so I don't get the butt wink. I shall only try ATG if I ever get to doing pistols, in which case, carrying no (or little) weight shall not do any harm on the rounded lumbar section.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #39
Jeff Garvin

Profile:

So i've read this forum 2 times so far and I have tried everybody's suggestions and watched all the video's on the butt wick but still nothing. I dont believe it is hamstring flexibility. Several people have suggested activating the hip flexors but i'm not sure what that means exactly. I good explanation of this would help me out a lot. I"m getting pretty frustrated by it and nothing seems to work.

Do i need to stick my *** out more? do i need to strengthen my lower back?
Old 07-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #40
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Garvin View Post
So i've read this forum 2 times so far and I have tried everybody's suggestions and watched all the video's on the butt wick but still nothing. I dont believe it is hamstring flexibility. Several people have suggested activating the hip flexors but i'm not sure what that means exactly. I good explanation of this would help me out a lot. I"m getting pretty frustrated by it and nothing seems to work.

Do i need to stick my *** out more? do i need to strengthen my lower back?
Are you new to it? It took me a year to get a mature squat with weight that was well below parallel. Its not something that will happen overnight, just keep working it.

The best exercise I've used to date are squats with arms raised facing a wall. Did them everyday, anytime I thought about it. After time, butt wink was gone.