CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
Andy Hellier

Profile:
Nutrition pre early morning workout

I need a little help.

I work out at around 6.30 every morning. I get up just before 6 and I used to have a breakfast replacement shake. This left me quite bloated and changed to just a protein shake and a proper breakfast an hour after I finish.

I am now not feeling I have quite enough energy or motivation to get me through a tough WOD at that time in the morning. Any ideas? I thought about reaching for the Froning Peanut Butter and Jelly plan, but not sure that's too wise!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
JP Eddings

Profile:
Re: Nutrition pre early morning workout

I’ve been experimenting with this myself and I have felt that I’ve had a good energy level during morning WODs. I do the same for evening WODs as well. I will make a pure fruit smoothie for a low GI carb load and will drink it 1.5-2hrs before my workout. When I do morning WODS at 630am, I will wake up at 4am, drink it and then go back to sleep until 530am when I get up to shower. I will normally load the smoothie with a banana, strawberries, blueberries and sometimes mango. I’ll add once scoop of whey protein as well.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
JP Eddings

Profile:

Also here is a quick exert from the “paleo for athletes” book I found…

Quote:
Stage I: Eating Before Exercise
In brief, we recommend that athletes eat low to moderate glycemic index
carbohydrates at least two hours prior to a hard or long workout or race. There may
also be some fat and protein in this meal. All foods should be low in fiber. Take in 200
to 300 calories for every hour remaining until exercise begins. If eating two hours prior is not possible, then take in 200 or so calories 10 minutes before the workout or
race begins
Old 08-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
Mike Johnson

Profile:

A scoop of peanut butter, a banana or two, coffee and water. Works great for me.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Kevin J. Fleming

Profile:

They are obviosuly not Paleo, but Biotest Finibars work great for morning workouts. They digest fast and can be eaten immed. before the workout. They have a good blend of carbs, fats, and protein.

Link is work safe/family friendly.

http://www.t-nation.com/store/supplements/finibar.jsp
Old 08-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
Dan Schaal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hellier View Post
I need a little help.

I work out at around 6.30 every morning. I get up just before 6 and I used to have a breakfast replacement shake. This left me quite bloated and changed to just a protein shake and a proper breakfast an hour after I finish.

I am now not feeling I have quite enough energy or motivation to get me through a tough WOD at that time in the morning. Any ideas? I thought about reaching for the Froning Peanut Butter and Jelly plan, but not sure that's too wise!

For me, I will down a coconut water. Give me a nice kick.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Thom Wendelboe

Profile:

I wake up at 6:25 for a 7:00am workout. I drink a mixture of protein and carbs (approximately 2:1) that I purchase from here (WFS). I usually drink 1 liter of water as soon as I wake up. Refill the bottle and then add 3 30g scoops. I get it in an orange flavor that tastes like Sunny-D and/or tang. In total it is 58.5 g of carbs and 28.5ish g of protein. I normally drink half during on the way to the gym, 1/4 during my workout, and the rest on the way home. As soon as I am home I eat 3 eggs and 1/2 cup egg white with 2 cups of spinach and 30g of reduced fat cheddar.

I find this system works best for me.

Last edited by Thom Wendelboe : 08-02-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
Ryan Eddy

Profile:

I hit the 7am. Back in March I switched to only black coffee and water and am pleased as punch with energy levels and performance.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
Thom Wendelboe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Eddy View Post
I hit the 7am. Back in March I switched to only black coffee and water and am pleased as punch with energy levels and performance.
I actually switched from that! I found that coffee got me to anxious, especially for heavy lifting days. Now I save it for post-workout pick me up, especially as carbs are tapered. On the other hand, I normally down a sugar free Red Bull before playing sports, a practice that may be as much mental placebo as anything else.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
Chyla Anderson

Profile:

I just grab 1/4 cup of nuts & 1/4 cup organic berries before I head to my 6am WOD (some green tea, too, if I'm up in time).
Any kind of shake/nut butter/starch/meat/dairy is too much for me to digest, so I wait until afterwards.