CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-24-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:
"blind" box Jumps

So during my WOD today I realized something. I don't look down during my box jumps
I think I looked down on the 1st rep but afterwards just looked forward. Just feels better that way and my jump/ landing form seems better.

Anyone else do this?

I would imagine it'd be better for lots of reps but not so much when working on increasing height.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:
Re: "blind" box Jumps

I don't always look were I'm going, but when it comes to jumping, I'd like to know where I'm going to land.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Nedorolik View Post
So during my WOD today I realized something. I don't look down during my box jumps
I think I looked down on the 1st rep but afterwards just looked forward. Just feels better that way and my jump/ landing form seems better.

Anyone else do this?

I would imagine it'd be better for lots of reps but not so much when working on increasing height.

"Blind box jumps" is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard.

Personally I still haven't been able to figure out what the benefit of high-rep box jumps is anyway other than to make you tired.
It seems often it leads to this: http://crossfitforce.com/wp/wp-conte...Jump-Shin1.jpg (wfs)
Old 07-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
"Blind box jumps" is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard.

Personally I still haven't been able to figure out what the benefit of high-rep box jumps is anyway other than to make you tired.
It seems often it leads to this: http://crossfitforce.com/wp/wp-conte...Jump-Shin1.jpg (wfs)
That's why I haven't done them in 18 months ... my shins are thanking me.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Jason Peacock

Profile:

You don't look down except for that first step when going up/down stairs, do you?

So why would it be so weird to not look when doing box jumps? It's not like the box is going to move between jumps

Box jumps for reps is just like any other movement - it's really good cardio & hips/leg burner. You might as well ask why bother doing Oly lifts for reps?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
You don't look down except for that first step when going up/down stairs, do you?

So why would it be so weird to not look when doing box jumps? It's not like the box is going to move between jumps

Box jumps for reps is just like any other movement - it's really good cardio & hips/leg burner. You might as well ask why bother doing Oly lifts for reps?
Exactly.

It's all muscle memory, proprioception, peripheral vision, ect, no reason to look down, in fact it might make it harder if you do.

When I learned to juggle, the single most important piece of advice I got was to stop looking at my hands... your brain knows where the ball will go, and will tell your hands to be there. but you can only focus on one hand at a time, which prevents you from keeping track of multiple objects.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
Exactly.

It's all muscle memory, proprioception, peripheral vision, ect, no reason to look down, in fact it might make it harder if you do.
And you don't think this is altered at all during cardiovascular fatigue?

Sometimes even when you 'know' where you're supposed to be, the body just isn't capable of responding that same way.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
Sam Ser

Profile:

it's best to have a plan in place in case you lose your concentration for a moment and look down, which could disorient you and lead to a nasty fall.

this is why i train blindfolded. it's just not worth the risk.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
And you don't think this is altered at all during cardiovascular fatigue?

Sometimes even when you 'know' where you're supposed to be, the body just isn't capable of responding that same way.
sure it's altered. no doubt about it. That still doesn't necessarily mean you have to look at the box to hit it. When I first read this, i thought about it and realized I also do not look at the box, but rather roughly forward, the same as if I were walking.

It's not like I'm saying you should be able to just close your eyes and go, it's more like your brain knows where it jumped last time, and your peripheral vision allows you to make any slight adjustments.