CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
Garrick Leith

Profile:
Bodybuilding sets

I started doing crossfit about three months ago to give my joints a rest and rehab an injury. I love it and wish I would have given it a try alot sooner.
I want to start incorporating alittle bodybuilding back into my routine though, and I'm curious how others who do this fit it into thier programming. My workouts generally look like this,

Morning
40 min LISS, treadmill or bike

Afternoon
Warmup
Strength Movement, 3x5 or 5x3
Metcon
SKill work / Injury rehab
Stretching and cooldown

I'm thinking about dumping the morning LISS and doing about 12 sets of bodybuilding or possibly adding it after the strength movements. I'm just curious how others have found success.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Jason Wallis

Profile:
Re: Bodybuilding sets

Bodybuilding and crossfit, while not mutually exclusive, aren't a very good match. But, if you must, a regular bodybuilding template plus 2-3 short metcons per week may work for you. If you just want to get big and strong, following a strength biased cf program plus lots of calories will get you there much more efficiently than the old "each bodypart once per week" approach.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Andrew James

Profile:

I tried almost exactly what you're describing a while back. I found it very difficult to recover from. Crossfit alone or bodybuilding alone if you're training with sufficient intensity is difficult to recover from, put them both together and it's just not good even with diet, rest, etc. dialed in.

I tried pure CrossFit for a while but wasn't happy with the amount of muscle mass that I was losing, so I returned to bodybuilding.

I still do bodybuilding style training 3 days per week on a split (legs, chest & back, shoulders & arms - yes it works quite well despite what you may have read), combined with 2 days of sprinting, and one day of LSD. And I'm as fit as I ever was from CrossFit.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
Garrick Leith

Profile:

Thanks for the comments guys, maybe I'll have to save mass building for the winter months.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:27 AM   #5
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Whats your actual goal? From what you've written so far, sounds like you'd be far better off with 70s Big, crossfit strength bias or crossfit football than to try reinventing the wheel with yet another hybrid.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

When you say bodybuilding, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean isolation work? I don't know if curls are much of a morning routine, but sure, you could add them in, they probably wouldn't affect recovery.

If you are talking serious bodybuilding, and I mean heavy deadlift/squat/bench/chin ups at 8-15 reps, repeated for an inordinate number of sets, keeping your other strength work, you'll overtrain.

In general, I think you're better off keeping the 3x5 and adding in assistance work if it's necessary to keep the progress going. Always have a reason for everything you're doing and you'll be fine.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Just wondering, but what are you hoping to gain by adding the body building back into it with cf?
Old 05-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Just wondering, but what are you hoping to gain by adding the body building back into it with cf?
I am guessing "muscle"