CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 04-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #61
Mauricio Leal

Profile:
Re: 11.4 Any guesses?

121. Burpees were groovy cause you can't really go super fast with the bar jumps and be efficient, so I just coasted a medium high pace.

OHSes were really important not to go slow on or miss reps on. Time held overhead and not moving is shoulders wasted. Took them out in big chunks (15-8-7) and rested more to be sure.

MUs were harder than I anticipated mostly cause you can't breathe very well while stringing them together.

Once off the rings though it's a sweet relief and the burpees didn't hurt that bad cause you can feel the money in the bank cha-chinging.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:15 AM   #62
Dave Traeger

Profile:

How would the community react if 11.6 was CFT?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #63
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

I have thought that a time limited CFT would be an excellent Open WOD. 15 minutes total to establish a 1 rm in each lift would be interesting. I generally take at least an hour with all of my warm up set and rest between max effort lifts. Cram that into 15 minutes and you have good challenge.

Only bad thing is that people would complain that bodyweight is not factored in.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #64
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Actually I was hoping they'd do an oly total. CF total could be a little unfair cause some people might have access to monolifts and cages to help save time on lifts, esp. misses. Anything from the floor is fair game.

Bodyweight isn't an issue as long as they do a Cindy/Mary to balance it. A cool format would be time limit 1RM with a round of Cindy/Mary between each attempt.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #65
David Meverden

Profile:

1.4 for me: Finished burpees about 5 minutes in, OHSs were in sets of ~8. Got 5 muscle ups. I was surprised to find myself getting up into the bottom of a dip no problem, but then losing it before I could lock it out. Also had never done the turn-rings-out thing so learning how to do that made things a little more awkward. I think if I did it again I could get through an entire round but no time for that (slightly busy this week get married ). Just glad I managed to squeeze in one score to be validated.

Strength event thoughts: I would love a pure strength event but don't want something as skill dependent as an O-lifting total. But I don't want just straight lifts, as in a CFT either. OK, got it. Here's what I think would be great: 15 minutes to establish a 1 RM powerclean and 1 RM floor press. I love power cleans.

How you define a powerclean would complicate things, but if we can judge proper depth for squat cleans we can also judge NOT getting to proper squat clean depth. And floor press would be great. Great test of upper body strength that requires minimal equipment or supervision and (as far as I know) wouldn't give a huge advantage to people who practice the lift more often (as a squat snatch would).
Old 04-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #66
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Nichols View Post
What's your OHS 1RM?

Also: what did you find to be the most challenging part of the WOD--besides all of it?
My OHS max is 215.

Worst part about the WOD was my hangover. Everything felt really easy. The burpees were cake, the OHS were easy (I split them up into 5 sets of 6 and took only a few seconds between sets), muscle ups were slower than everything else.

I'd love to see any 1RM lift. Especially 1RM KBS. That'd be prime.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #67
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
I have thought that a time limited CFT would be an excellent Open WOD. 15 minutes total to establish a 1 rm in each lift would be interesting. I generally take at least an hour with all of my warm up set and rest between max effort lifts. Cram that into 15 minutes and you have good challenge.

Only bad thing is that people would complain that bodyweight is not factored in.
Not really an issue since one can do all the warm up sets prior to starting the clock. Guess if they did use a modified CFT, they could demand 5 minutes to get 50 reps of some sort exercise then use remaining time to get a max lift. Repeat for other two lifts.

However, that they've been doing well with AMRAPs I think they'll stick with that instead. Since we haven't had pull-ups, why not have:

AMRAP in 5 minutes:
10x 95# thrusters, 10x chest 2 bar pull-ups
Old 04-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #68
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
Not really an issue since one can do all the warm up sets prior to starting the clock. Guess if they did use a modified CFT, they could demand 5 minutes to get 50 reps of some sort exercise then use remaining time to get a max lift. Repeat for other two lifts.

However, that they've been doing well with AMRAPs I think they'll stick with that instead. Since we haven't had pull-ups, why not have:

AMRAP in 5 minutes:
10x 95# thrusters, 10x chest 2 bar pull-ups
Easy fix....clock starts when weight of any type is placed on bar. Warm up are considered attempts. This is from one of the Masters WODs (online 40+ year old Open precursor):
Set a Clock for 10 minutes:

Take the first 7 minutes to determine a 1 rep max back squat.

Minutes 7-10 perform burpee broad jumps for distance

*Every 10 meters adds 5# to your squat.

Total Score is back squat weight (lbs) + 5lbs for every 10 meters jumped.

1. Once you put any weight on the bar you must start the clock. Itís ok to warm up with body weight movements, air squats, etc.

2.*Measure off 33 ft. with a tape measure, place a cone on both ends.* Chest must touch ground on burpee.* Only full 10 m distances count.* For example, if you complete 85 m of burpee broad jumps, you get credit for 80 m. 80/10=8 x 5#=40# added to back squat total.

Of course, this would require a bit of integrity....
Old 04-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #69
Jason David

Profile:

I'm thinking a good finish would be something 1RMish, either a total of some sorts or a single lift. Pounds = reps. Finish out with C2B Mary? Or just regular Mary I guess.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #70
CJ Kim

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
Easy fix....clock starts when weight of any type is placed on bar. Warm up are considered attempts. Set a Clock for 10 minutes

Limiting the time for warm-ups before a max attempt would both increase power output of the athlete during the workout and raise awareness of muscle, tendon and ligament tears.