CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Jay Mulder

Profile:
Chronic Runner's Knee

AKA Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome

Did this running 7k around a year ago before I was ready for that distance. I have seen an osteopath and a physiotherapist about it but I feel better for around a day, then their 'fix it' stretching plans never pan out. I stretch my hamstrings and quads for ~30min per day, and this helps temporarily but can't seem to get over this injury. I am away with the military and am doing lots of running everyday.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Chronic Runner's Knee

This may help wfs

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/
Old 08-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
Heather-Violet Minnella

Profile:
Exclamation Re: Chronic Runner's Knee

If you are being made to run because of your role in the military, then your superiors need to be made aware of your medical condition. Running through Runner's Knee is like smoking with lung cancer. GO to medical so that you may get waived from physical training for the time being. In addition, they may provide you with a physical therapist, who could assess your biomechanics and prescribe rehabilitation exercises.

I developed bilateral PFPS aka Runner's Knee in April 2010, and I still suffer miserably. My orthopedist and therapist say "if it hurts, don't do it". But EVERYthing hurts my knees. Actually, everything that involves flexion/extension of my knee hurts. And crepitus is prevalent with EVERY move I make. The only things that do not bother my knees are the isolated glute exercises (probably because my knee joints are not involved in their execution).

The article Stephen Low posted is very informative, and the best part is that he provides numerous links to other professional trainers' advice and opinions on how to prevent and treat PFPS, chondromalacia, and other injuries resulting from poor biomechanics and/or malalignments. I would love to know how you're doing these days...
Old 09-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
Jay Mulder

Profile:

Thank you for the article. I will read it when I have more spare time. After a week in the field carrying very heavy things (dismounted mortars) and stretching a lot less, I found my knee to be much much better. My injury is still there, but I think I was exposing my injury with all the stretching on top of a large volume of running. I guess the over stretching was due to frustration. Thank you for the concern.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mulder View Post
Thank you for the article. I will read it when I have more spare time. After a week in the field carrying very heavy things (dismounted mortars) and stretching a lot less, I found my knee to be much much better. My injury is still there, but I think I was exposing my injury with all the stretching on top of a large volume of running. I guess the over stretching was due to frustration. Thank you for the concern.
You should really read it now... especially page 4.