CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-05-2004, 03:39 PM   #11
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Mr. John,

Those are some impressive freshmen high school girls!
Seriously, what you said about not cheating on the 10-second rest period really rings true for me. When I do Tabata sprints well, it takes me at least 2 seconds to stop sprinting and 2 seconds to start jogging again, so it's really about 6 seconds standing still.

Thanks,

Ross Hunt
Old 05-05-2004, 10:08 PM   #12
Mark Roughton

Profile:
Greg, thanks for bearing with me on my sidetrack...didn't mean to poach your thread.

Thanks, Pat, for the Taku link. That's very similar to what I saw before.

I've been mulling over what I was trying to say about "pure" endurance vs. strength endurance. Not sure that's the right distinction...maybe it's more along the lines of moving your body through space vs. moving against resistance. The Taku page seems to refer mostly to exercises I would put in the first category.

I want to be clear that I'm not arguing with anyone...I was basically asking for opinions on the different approaches to developing fitness for specific activities.

I agree that the 10-second rest does seem to be where a lot of the magic happens. Well, OK, the 20 seconds of high-intensity work has a lot to do with it, too, but there's something very physiologically cool going on in that 10 seconds. I often use that time to try to get my heart back down out of my head and throat. You know what I mean.

Mr. John, just a quick note of thanks for your website and for your comments on this board. They're extremely helpful. (I promise never to use the "p" word again...I hadn't thought about it much before, but it does have some really odd associations.)
Old 05-06-2004, 07:31 AM   #13
Dan John

Profile:

Please call me "Dan" or "Danny." Just cuz I'm a geezer...

There is a $12,000 machine that you can find on the internet called the "Four Minute Miracle" or something, but I think you can mimic it with the Tabata Front Squats...

Old 05-07-2004, 07:24 AM   #14
Mark Roughton

Profile:
Dan, the "Mr" is out of respect for your wisdom and accomplishments, not your age. (My youngest daughter is a high school freshman; talk about feeling like a geezer.)

Yes, I think I can get by on less than $12K. The current plan involves replacing my 5-ft department store set with a couple bumper plates and a secondhand o-bar. I imagine the revolving sleeve, and the ability to bail out without breaking the floor, will be helpful with snatches down the road. (If I had the $12K I'd be thinking more along the lines of an Eleiko set, Vulcan racks, and, uh, a trip to Hawaii.)

Meantime I'll keep hitting the front squats. Thanks again.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:29 AM   #15
Coach

Profile:

My sense of the Tabata protocol is that it is all-out, and that the all-out output at 20/10 X 6-8 was a smaller percentage of VO2 max than other protocols (30/120 yielding 200% VO2 max for instance) but returned a greater adaptation in terms of VO2 max and anaerobic capacity. My point is that the metabolic demands of the interval are functions of the interval's structure and that the effort within the interval regimen was not deliberately selected.

Old 05-08-2004, 04:51 PM   #16
gordon mckendry

Profile:  
Dan, I believe the "four minute miracle" machine you mentioned is known as the "ROM," standing for "range of motion." It costs over $14,000. It's sort of a combination of a rowing machine and a stair climber. It's an interesting piece of equipment, but couldn't come close, IMHO, to the benefits of the WOD regimen, which, by the way, as a newbie, I'm still approaching with caution. I'm not ready to fully suffer yet so I'm dabbling.