CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-06-2004, 02:06 PM   #1
gordon mckendry

Profile:  
When I squat my rear end tends to start coming up a bit ahead of my upper body, so that I'm briefly leaning forward more than I should. Eventually my lower back does it's work and straightens me out. Any ideas as to my problem? I consciously try to keep my back as straight up as I can, but just can't seem to. Should I be working on my lower back strength? Your input is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:53 PM   #2
James Taft

Profile:

Hey Gordon. In my opinion you should not worry about strengthening any one isolated muscle in order to correct a form problem. You should simply drop the weight and focus on improving your form until you can go through the full range of motion with stability and confidence. Add weight over time as you see fit.

Your problem is one of many common problems experienced with the back squat. A good place to start is to talk with an experienced lifter that you trust or find a local Olympic Lifting club coach (see USA Weightlifting home page) for form advice. If this is not possible, then I suggest going to Ironmind.com and pick up a few of those "Wish you were here" videos. You can see some of the worlds best perform rock bottom perfect squats with heavy weights.

To give you some quick immediate advice. I find that if I focus on pushing through my heels and then thrusting my pelvis forward (while keeping my back straight) as I come out of the bottom position that I never have the problem you described. I guess you just need to see what a perfect squat looks like and then try to reproduce. Everyone's body is different and different words/mental pictures work for different people. Most people are visual learners, so try to get some footage of a good back squat. Hope this helps.

Jim
Old 05-06-2004, 04:59 PM   #3
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Work overhead squats they insist on perfect squat form.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:02 PM   #4
gordon mckendry

Profile:  
James. That sounds like some good advice. I was just thinking earlier today that I should simply drop the weight and concentrate on good form. I've seen high-caliber lifters squat, so I have a good concept of what it should look like. I just haven't been able to do it right except with less weight than I'm using now. Time to be patient and start lower.

Would you agree that adding deadlifts to my routine would be helpful in ultimately improving my squat form inasmuch as my lower back seems to be a weak link?
Old 05-06-2004, 05:05 PM   #5
gordon mckendry

Profile:  
Graham. I will try doing that. I take it overhead squats would not allow for my rear end sticking out like I mentioned because the weight to fall forward. Is that roughly correct?
Old 05-06-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
Graham Hayes

Profile:
You got it in one!
Old 05-06-2004, 06:19 PM   #7
gordon mckendry

Profile:  
Graham, as you probably gathered, my post should have read "...because the weight would tend to fall forward" in the second sentence.

Thanks again.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:43 PM   #8
gordon mckendry

Profile:  
James and Graham, thanks again to both of you. I have dropped the weight down on my back squats and am concentrating on form. Meanwhile, I have added overhead squats to my regimen. They definitely are unforgiving in terms of form. I find it interesting that on the overhead squats my quads feel like they are working very hard with relatively little weight. Is this due to the muscular tension associated with stabilizing the movement?
Old 05-08-2004, 05:24 PM   #9
James Taft

Profile:

Gordon. The extra feeling you are getting in your quads is probably due to the bar position over your head. I notice that if you let the bar stay directly over your head (usually due to lack of flexability) that you "feel" the exercise more in your quads than any where else (except the shoulders of course). The center of gravity of the bar being slightly forward would make the exercise similar to the front squat with the added benefit of upper body development through stabilizing the bar over head. Eventually you will be able to let the bar move through its natural range of motion behind your head (ala catch and recovery phase of the snatch). Good luck on the Overheads they are awesome and will really add alot to your workout.

Jim