CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Joshua Engman

Profile:
Thumbs up Paleo diet blog day 1

Here is the breakdown of day 1:
Paleo Blog

Day 1
Breakfast protein shake (280 cal, 2 carb, 60 g protein) 1 banana
Lunch - baked white fish, watermelon, water (bottle), pineapple juice, plate of salad with Italian dressing
Snack at 3pm - 1 apple
Gym/WOD at 4pm- post shake (104 cal, 1 carb, 25 g protein).
Dinner- spaghetti meat sauce (no noodles), plate of salad with Italian, fresh pineapple, hand sized portion broccoli.
Snack at 9pm- 2 apples.

Felt good during workout. Not sure if im getting enough calories.

Some relevant info is that im a deployed soldier and im not at a Huge base where i have access to a variety of foods. My "FOB" was a combat outpost until about a month ago. Im 26/M/5'9"/170. I think i understand most of the base ideas of Paleo but im still not grapsing everything like how to split 40/30/30 meals. ive read the crossfit journal stuff but i hope ill figure it out in time. Any advice or critique of my Paleo attempt would be appreciated.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
Stephanie Walters

Profile:

Re: Paleo diet blog day 1

Paleo isn't 40/30/30, that's the Zone diet (although I have seen some Paleo sites recommend certain percentages, and percentages even vary by phases of training and goals). And whether or not you're getting enough calories depends on your goals. Although just glancing at some of that, I'd assume you definitely weren't eating enough. What's in your protein shake? Almond milk? Juice? Protein powder is fine to use as a supplement but that wouldn't really be a Paleo diet, and it looks like you're not getting enough protein from animal sources.

I don't do strict Paleo (as Cordain would deem it) but a better example of a day on Paleo (for me, at least):

Bacon and eggs (2-3 eggs, 5-8 slices)
6-8 ounces of sliced turkey breast
A few ounces of almond butter (I don't actually eat almond butter anymore but it's a great source of fat)
Skirt steak with sautee'd asparagus
Some honeydew melon

If anyone wants to critique my attempt as well, feel free. My goal is to lose weight while maintaining/improving strength (I'm at 5'7" and 154lbs/21.5% BF).

Last edited by Stephanie Walters : 04-12-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
Meredith Launius

Profile:
Re: Paleo diet blog day 1

You could try just egg whites and a leaner protien than bacon to cut unfavorable fat, replace it with olive oil or cocnut oil or nuts, seeds. Maybe a lower density friut source.