CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 02-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Chadd Kaiser

Profile:
Chadd's Training -- Warrior Mindest, Guardian Lifestyle

2-17-10

Well, I've decided to attempt to maintain a workout log on here, though I can't guarantee any degree of success. In case anyone reads this, I'll do my best to put in my thoughts on the WODs, info regarding my personal reasons for training, and maybe a few random thoughts.

My personal reason for joining Crossfit (on Feb 1, 2010) is because I'm pursuing a career in law enforcement. I've been testing to various departments since summer in 2008, and am well ranked on a few of them. I think I'm in the top half of every list I'm on (as a bare minimum). Currently my best position is #2 out of 23, out of the 300 or so who tested. I'm eager to get into law enforcement, but I realize the difficulties faced by LEOs (law enforcement officers).

Sure, there are drug dealers, murderers, rapists, thieves, abusers, and people with generally poor attitudes...but the unseen dangers for police officers lie within the old stereotype: being fat and out of shape. I'm diving facefirst into crossfit (scaling, initially) to ensure I build a strong healthy base that I'll maintain throughout my career, so I may be a better officer, and I may perform at top capacity at all times.

I've done strength training integrated with running since summer of 2007. I weighed in at 210lbs, had a 1RM bench of likely 145#, and hadn't squatted or deadlifted before. I could run a 10:00 mile, but I'd be pretty gassed out.

As of the end of 2009, my PRs were as such (all 1RM unless otherwise noted):
Bench 200# (summer of 2008)
Deadlift 5RM - 225#
Squat - 200#
Max pullups - 5
Max Pushups - 46
Max Squats - 74
1.5 mi run - 12:30

I've been doing crossfit for two weeks (scaled, of course) and I already feel a difference. I'll do my best to keep this up.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
Chadd Kaiser

Profile:
Re: Chadd's Training -- Warrior Mindest, Guardian Lifestyle

Yesterday I ran the usual CFWU x2, but now I am throwing in shoulder dislocation stretches x3 to increase shoulder mobility. After that, I progressed to the bench press, where I've gotten comfortable with more and more weight.

It looked like:
Warmup:
95#x10, 115#x6, 135#x5, 145#x5, 155#x5
Workout:
160#--3x5

I struggled a little bit with my right arm on the lifting phase, but I kept telling myself "rip the bar apart" and I focused on my form of "bar to nipple" as opposed to my formerly used "bar to ribcage". It seems to have worked well, as I struggled only on a few reps, but still maintained proper speed to continue linear progression to 165# on Sunday.

During my post-weight, pre-WOD time, I stood and talked with a fellow Globo-gymer, an endurance runner (as you could tell by his frame) named Glen. Glen said he liked pushing himself, but his wife wanted him to get a little extra work in on his upper body.

"Why not join me for my WOD?" I asked, explaining it was Tabata work, designed to boost heartrate, not add a ton of muscle. He was in.

Someone else nearby on the bench was interested, as he'd read about Crossfit. He opted to ultimately not join us, and to complete his sets on the bench instead. His name was Jack, and Jack passed Glen and I during our first tabata, when we were resting and dripping with sweat after only 4 minutes of work. He laughed.

WOD:
Tabata THIS!
Tabata Row (subbed SDHP), Rest 1min
Tabata Pullup, Rest 1 min (used 85# assist, as pullups are one of my weaknesses)
Tabata Squat, Rest 2 minutes (because Pukie was laughing)
Tabata Pushups, Rest 2 minutes, 30 seconds (because Pukie was riding on my back)
Tabata Situps.

Score: 10, 2, 12, 3, 5. Tabata THIS total: 32.

Way below what I was hoping to achieve, but the squats just gassed me out, and I had no energy after that. My tabata squats would've been 14, but Glen left after his 1st tabata (he was tired, and didn't want to hurt himself), and said goodbye, telling me he'd definitely join me on crossfit now and then. This caused me to miss 10 seconds of my tabata, so I went all out, getting 10 in 10 seconds, but knew I could've gotten 14. Halving the difference sounded best.

After my workout, I cooled off outside (in the snow. In my cutoff shirt and shorts), and upon coming in, a staff member was asking me about my routine. I told him about CF, and he seemed interested. Jack came up to me later, as I was gearing up to go, and said he'd join me on my next tabata workout the following day. I told him the workouts change all the time, but he's more than welcome to join me on a CF workout anytime. Jack seemed interested to join too.

Today' WOD is Linda, and there's no way I can do the weight as prescribed. I'm considering shifting gears toward a hybrid CF/SS program that I read about, and that has been quoted on CF a bunch. Since my legs are killing me from tabata squats, and I did bench yesterday, tonight I'm doing Deadlift (setting a linear progression, likely around 200 or so), and overhead press (setting my first linear progression there as well), followed by a short metcon. I don't get to meet Linda tonight, but I'm sure I will sometime soon.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
Chadd Kaiser

Profile:

I haven't posted in a while because I've been so busy with extraneous work. The office is getting busy, and I've begun applying to departments again. The orientations and testing are taking the time slots of my usual gym time, and I'm out of whack. I've been hitting the gym whenever possible, and doing whatever I could.

Wednesday I did the CFT WOD from Tuesday, and here's what I got:
(I added Bench)
Bench: 205 (PR)
Back Squat: 210 (PR)
OH Press: 110 (ugh...)
Deadlift: 250 (PR)

CFT: 570.

Not bad for being on it 3 weeks, and semi-serious training beforehand.

I also had a medical screening for work purposes recently, specs were 5'9.75", and 183# bodyweight. Everything came up passing with flying colors.

As my schedule's been off, I've been off my Crossfit workouts. Yesterday instead of hitting the gym for a WOD I was truly excited for (1 min wall ball, 1 min rope climb 400m/ 5 rounds for reps), I grabbed some sushi with my guys. I have a PTT test Saturday, and figured after maxing out 4 lifts on Wednesday, 2 days off would be good.

Still, after my 1RM bench, 1.5 mi run, 37 situps and stretching Saturday, I'll be beelining to the gym. Today's WOD of 1-1-1-1-1 OH/Back/Front Squats looks intense, and I might be ready to use more than just the bar for OH squats. We'll see what tomorrow's WOD is. Maybe I'll just do both.

Time to step it up for March's strength training (utilizing CFWF workout style, SS progressions and style, and metcon / WOD). April I'll switch to pure WOD through summer, but being sure that on a metcon WOD I'm doing big-time strength work. I came up with a pretty solid program on Tuesday, I'll try and transcribe it soon and see how it works in march.

The program utilizes the 3 on 1 off principle, and does an 8 day rotation. Each day has at least 2 strength movements, but no more than 3, plus the occasional 2 mile run, and a WOD.

Workouts are:
Squat
Pullups
Bench
Deadlift
2 mile run
Clean + press
OH Press

Each workout receives 2 days of utilization (at least) in the 8-day period, but Clean and press and OH press receive 1 each. Additionally, a CFWU with pullups and dips will be used, plus OH squats with a 45# bar (and the rest of the CFWU). There will also be WODs, scaled based on strength work that day / previous day; and there will be 2 games of ultimate frisbee on Saturday and Sunday, 3 hours each.

I'll post the schedule next time I'm on, and I'll try and track the results.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Chadd Kaiser

Profile:

Well, I had another police test this pass weekend, and I passed it. Either the cones they set up to simulate a 1/4 mile were marked wrong, or my 1.5 mile time has suffered the last few months. I came in at 13:34, but in September/October of 2009, I had a 12:30. Many people had horrible days, so I'm assuming it was slightly longer. Coming to a full stop and then starting up again at each cone probably hurt my time by about 40 seconds.

As a result, I went for a run in my brand new shoes Sunday. I went to a Dick Pond Athletics and had them figure out my running style and what shoes would work best. They felt like a dream. Every Sunday now, my buddy Ryan and I are going to hit the local roads and pound out a couple miles.

As promised, I have my new 8-day schedule handy, and I'm kicking it off today. My goal with this program is to increase strength via Starting Strength methodology, while still maintaining athletic ability and utilizing the WOD as often as possible to ensure I don't get bored. In some instances, I'll scale the WOD to maintain metcon and not over-work a muscle group. Today's a prime example of this scaling.

The general idea behind the schedule is 2-3 strength training moves, all crossfit staples, and two 2-mile running days. On running days, the WOD may be scaled or modified. The purpose of the running days is to increase cardio-respiratory endurance for the police academies I'll have in the future.

Additionally, these workouts and WODs will be supplemented by ultimate frisbee on Saturdays and Sundays, and a weekly Sunday morning "easy run" with my friend. Pace on Sundays is about 10:00/mi, and we chat the whole way.

Overall progression of Strength training, days 1-8
Note: All strength workouts are done in the SS linear progression model of 3 sets of 5 reps (3x5)--unless otherwise noted--eventually going to 5x3, and then de-loading when 12 or less of the 15 reps per workout are completed with perfect form. Once this happens, the weight is retested to find a new base weight

Day 1
Squat, Pullups, Bench Press (pullups done to total 15 reps...that is, pullups may be 5x3 or 4x4, etc...)
WOD

Day 2
2 mile run, OH Press, Deadlift (2 sets)
WOD

Day 3
Squat, Pullups (completing 15 reps, however possible)
WOD

Day 4 - REST DAY

Day 5
Squat, Deadlift
WOD

Day 6
Bench, Pullups (completing 15 reps, however possible), 2 mile run
WOD

Day 7
Full Clean & Press
WOD

Day 8 - REST DAY

This cycle of weight training repeats continuously, giving a 1 week break of strictly Yoga, stretching, carrdio, and light WODs every 8-12 weeks. Increases in weight occur between each lifting day as follows:

Squat & Bench go up 5# per workout day. In any given 8-day period, Squats will rise 20#, Bench will rise 10#.

Deadlifts rise 10# per workout day. In any given 8-day period, Deadlifts will rise 20#.

Clean and Press rise 5# per workout day. In any given 8-day period, Clean and Press will rise 5#.

Pullups will be raised by 5 reps every 8-day period (minimum), or as ease of performance increases.

I'll be tracking my results as closely as possible for this routine. I will be on it for a minimum of 16 days. If my body adversely responds to an increased load, I will scale as such, possibly removing a strength movement from a strength-heavy day to help recovery.

My new program's web training log begins in the next post.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Chadd Kaiser

Profile:
Strength and WOD, Day 1

Today marks the 1st day of my carefully crafted strength training / WOD program, as described above.

Today:
CFWU x2, subbing pushups, and adding "shoulder dislocation stretch"

Strength: 3x5s
Squat, Pullups, Bench

WOD:
As Rx'd
3 rounds for time of:
25 muscle ups
100 Squats
35 GHD situps

Modified to maintain metcon and not overstress mucles:
3 rounds of time of:
25 pullups w/ 85# assist
25 pushups
30 Squats
25 situps

Results, loads, and time to follow tonight. Any comments are greatly appreciated, and criticism is welcome.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
Chadd Kaiser

Profile:
Recap Day 1 and 2

Quick recap of my strength work. Before I delve into that though, I'm feeling immense gains on some of my movements. Aside from hitting a 250# deadlift last week, my bench is back at 200, likely 205 in a week. Pullups are still a weakness, but I'm combining low-rep strict deadhangs with 10 rep assisted pullups, with 10 being the struggle. Once I can get past 10, I lower the assistance weight.

Day 1 recap:
Bench press - 170#, 3sets of 5reps (3x5). I only faltered on 2 of the fifteen total reps. I have a feeling next bench day I'll be lower to 5x3 at 175 or 180, and then resetting my starting number.

Squat - 125# 3x5. Piece of cake, but I focused on keeping my knees above my feet and my *** below my knees. Definitely felt the depth of the squat.

Pullups - 5 sets of 3 strict form deadhangs.

WOD (go figure, it's situps, pullups, and dips).
Because the WOD had the same movements as my strength work, I lowered the weight to increase speed and metcon.

Thus, instead of 3 rounds of
25 muscle ups (translated to 75 dips & pullups)
100 squats
25 GHD situps (translated to 25 regular situps)

I did three rounds of:
25 pushups
25 pullups at 85# assist (later to 105, as my lats were just dead)
25 air squats
25 situps.

Time: 18:24

Not bad, but it further cements that I need to increase my pullup strength and endurance.

Day 2 Recap
Day 2 was interesting, as the WOD was similar to my rx'd additional work.

Day 2 focus was OH Press, Deadlift, 2 Mile Run, WOD. The WOD was a 2-mile run through intervals, so I did that AS my 2 mile run. Whenever a WOD overlaps a focus movement (strictly, not as part of a timed workout), I'll replace.

Thus, I did:
OH Press - 95# 3x5, faltering on 2 lifts. Next week it's at 100#, and I may need to lower the weight and restart the process

Deadlift - 185# 3x5. Piece of cake. Made sure I kept my form strict.

WOD -
8 Rds for time of:
400m
90s rest
(Do not include last round's rest)

Total time: 24:10.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Chadd Kaiser

Profile:
What a weekend!

Well, it was a long and arduous weekend, with little sleeping in. Since my girlfriend is appreciating lent and not eating meat, and she's a picky eater, our choices for dinner on Fridays are carb-heavy. Pizza it was (though it was great).

Saturday I had a police test, then played ultimate frisbee for 3.5 hours, then hit the gym for another hour to do weight work (pullups and bench). Sunday I just played frisbee, as I was too beat / sore for my strength training.

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - Hit 5/3/1 of 185# (Bodyweight). I could've done more, but the lift would've slowed down, and I didn't have a spotter. Still felt great to hit that weight that well. After that, I did my squats, but accidentally did the weight too low...whoops.

I also started to do Helen, but my hands were getting ripped up on the pullups, so I decided to wait until I had gloves or less callouses. Good news though: I started to nail my kipping pullups! It'll definitely make the WODs that much easier, as pullups are far and away my biggest weakness. I'll be working on those, and when I hit a run this weekend with my friend, I'm going to suggest we do a Helen-esque workout, subbing burpees or pushups for the KB swings, and doing pullups at a jungle gym.

Also, after a winter of training and a month of CF, my vertical improved by about 4", my endurance was amazing, and my strength is all increasing. I cannot stress enough to people I know to give it a shot for a month, but we'll see if they decide to heed my advice.

Re-starting/de-loading my bench next week, probably around 145# to start, increasing by 5# each workout. Everything else is still going strong.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
Chadd Kaiser

Profile:
Re: What a weekend!

Well, I'm faltering right now. I'm still working hard when I'm at the gym, but the scaling is killing me. I have too much ego sometimes, and not enough drive other times. The big killer is the Community Emergency Response Team training I've enrolled in, as it makes my Tuesdays and Thursdays literally busy from 6:30am (wakeup) to 9:30pm (bedtime), and then I'm on the phone with my girlfriend after she gets out of her cheerleader practice (until 10:30 - 11:00).

Thankfully, CERT is coming to an end, so I can resume a somewhat normal workout routine. I'm still torn between doing mainside / BrandX scaled or building my strength now with Starting Strength. I've already realized my strength goals, and I'm fine doing scaled workouts sometimes, so SS isn't a HUGE necessity, but it'd be great to be doing mainsite (the main restriction for me is the weight / reps as RX'd); and I know SS could get me there. Unfortunately, I've got a wager with family for a six-pack by June. I'll be there with CF BrandX/Mainsite WODs, and I'm supplementing in ring training / strength training in the CFSB method to maintain / increase my lifts a little bit.

I think I'll wait a whole year for SS (when it gets colder out), and focus on CFSB / CFMS/BX right now to keep on getting leaner and faster. I like looking good and losing weight, and while the strength gains would be great on SS, I don't want the weight gain.

Got my EXF rings in the mail yesterday though, and I'm stoked to give them a shot at my globo tonight. Can't wait to see the reactions of some of the guys there...then i'll see who can do a dip / pullup / MU (or if I can....which I highly doubt).

I think sticking to CF will keep me on track, I just want a bigger DL, Squat, and OH Press.

Current #'s:
DL - 285
Squat - Likely 220 / 225
Bench - last checked at 205, likely 210
Press - last checked at 115, maybe to 120 by now
Pullups - 5/6 depending on the day
1.5 mile run - 12:30

Recent Benchmark WODs
1/2 Murph - 32:08

We'll see how I do from here on out. I'll likely try a benchmark again soon. I keep on bugging out of Fran, as the thrusters are killer for me, but I'll choke my way through it and put the numbers up, once I cowboy the **** up.

You can either make excuses or you can make progress; you cannot make both at the same time.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
Chadd Kaiser

Profile:

Although it's been two weeks (roughly) since I posted in this log, I have a few minutes now (and haven't had any time lately).

While I've slacked on updating this, I recently stopped slacking in my CF workouts. I've been following the mainsite, though weekends almost always throw a wrench into the works. Did the last cycle no problem, but doing DT messed up my shoulders a bit. I rested the handstand work Saturday and instead opted for a short run followed by 3 hours of frisbee. Sunday I went to a Sox game, gorged (my 2nd "cheat day" that weekend, the first being the few buffalo wings and ice cream I had on Friday), and didn't workout. Today I did a 5x1 for deadlift, hitting a new PR of 300 lbs 1RM.

I'm thinking of doing my absolute best at hitting paleo for a month, and getting my dad in on it. He's making small strides in his diet, but isn't exercising. I think if I get him doing Paleo for 30 days with me, he'll see some gains and realize how easy weight loss can be if he applies himself.

I'll mention it tonight while we're doing taxes, if I remember. Tomorrow's a rest day (final rest day for my shoulders), and then I'm back into the CF Mainsite setup.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
Chadd Kaiser

Profile:

Paleo Day 1 begins today. We're doing paleo-ish (my dad and I). We're allowing bacon, and the occasional cup of coffee (black), tea (unsweet), milk (skim) or juice (100% fresh squeezed). Also, protein shakes are allowed, as they help after my workouts with recovery, and we both love cheese, so we're severely limiting it. Roughly 1-2 slices DAILY at a maximum (or 1tbsp).

I'm still uncertain as to whether cottage cheese (low fat) is paleo. We may incorporate it later, as it's not unhealthy, and we're not in it for the "cleanse my body of toxins" but rather the "eat fresher foods, and leaner / healthier diet".

Today's food:
Breakfast: 3 eggs, 2 slices turkey bacon
snack 1: ziploc snack bag (full) of walnuts, almonds, cashews, raisins, and pecans.
Lunch: Chipotle - Steak Burrito Bowl, no rice, beans (oops, didn't realize it wasn't paleo), veggies, mild picante salsa, very light cheese (1/2 tbsp), and lettuce.
Snack 2: 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 slices of turkey bacon, 1/4 cup of mixed nuts & raisins

Up next I've got to run from work to class (with about 15 minutes to eat between). I'm stopping at Jimmy Johns, getting an "unwich" which is a sandwich wrapped in lettuce. I'll be having:
Roast beef (double meat), tomatoe (double), sprouts, cucumber, no cheese or mayo.

Snack in-class: nuts, if I'm hungry.

Already downed 64oz of water, and 5 oranges worth of OJ (16oz of fresh squeezed juice).