CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
Luke Gaylor

Profile:
New to CF - LOVE IT!

Hey Everyone -

My name is Luke and I thought that I'd introduce myself to everyone. I was referred to Crossfit a couple of weeks ago and have now done a week of ramp. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
I've considered myself pretty athletic, Football, Soccer, Baseball, Racquetball, Motorcycle Racing, Dirtbiking....throughout the years.
I was always motivated when I was training for something, but couldn't find it when I wasn't. I needed something to push me, cause God knows I wasn't doing it on my own!
My wife loves the gym and she can maintain her motivation....(she has lost all but 10lbs of the baby weight, and our daughter is only 8mos old)
So recently I have been looking for something that I can be motivated about, excited to go and something that will push me to the brink. Then in my research, I found that CF would/should be right up my alley and man was I right!
I've been ramping all week and I have been pushed to where I didn't think I could be pushed (today was the closest I came to losing it) I was determined not to toss my cookies at Kirkland Crossfit, in front of John, his Wife & their 3 yr old boy.
All in All, I LOVE CF! I get done and I can't wait for the next workout. I look forward to being broken down and pushed to the limit and beyond!

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi to people that are just as excited about CF as Iam.

Luke
Work hard and become a leader; be lazy and become a slave. Proverbs 12:24
Old 05-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
Stephanie Grady

Profile:
Re: New to CF - LOVE IT!

Welcome!!! I am new to CrossFit as well. Just started doing the WOD's about a week ago and I am hooked! I already can't wait to see how far I can push myself and how much stronger I can get.

I started reading these message boards a few weeks ago and I think it's a great idea to post on here. There is so much information, almost overwhelming, but the people on here are great and motivating!

Keep us posted and good luck
Old 05-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Joshua Refenes

Profile:

Just finished my first week of CF here. I'm already getting frustrated as the WODs are showing me just how out of shape I really am. Not to mention the fact that I'm carrying around 20 or so extra pounds really makes those pull-ups impossible.

I'm sore as hell, but I don't mind it one bit. Can't wait to hit it up again on Monday.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:35 AM   #4
Luke Gaylor

Profile:

I hear you Joshua! I was in the same boat, but have done something similiar to this before so I kinda knew what to expect....but hang in there man! We'll all get through this and be Faster, Stronger, & more Efficient!
Work hard and become a leader; be lazy and become a slave. Proverbs 12:24
Old 05-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Refenes View Post
Just finished my first week of CF here. I'm already getting frustrated as the WODs are showing me just how out of shape I really am. Not to mention the fact that I'm carrying around 20 or so extra pounds really makes those pull-ups impossible.

I'm sore as hell, but I don't mind it one bit. Can't wait to hit it up again on Monday.
Not to hijack Luke's thread (for those who know me, you may laugh now) but dude... I feel you, it can be very frustrating in the beginning, especially when you're suddently using a whole new yardstick for what "fit" is, and realize that you're not it.

Don't get discouraged! You'll grow, and change, and be faster, stronger, and more fit in 3 months than you can imagine. I've only been at it for 6 months and that still holds true... I'm still waiting for the point where fitness gains actually slow down from, "wow, when did I get that strong/fast/agile/etc.?"
Old 05-22-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
Thomas Baker

Profile:

Welcome! Awesome to have you here.

And I agree with what was said above. I've only been at it for 3 months and feel the same way! I actually believed that I was "fit" or "fitter than most" and made "healthy food choices". Then I begin to analyze my workouts, nutrition and general lifestyle and see that I was WAY, WAY off and going down a very bad path.

Good stuff.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Joshua Refenes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
Not to hijack Luke's thread (for those who know me, you may laugh now) but dude... I feel you, it can be very frustrating in the beginning, especially when you're suddently using a whole new yardstick for what "fit" is, and realize that you're not it.

Don't get discouraged! You'll grow, and change, and be faster, stronger, and more fit in 3 months than you can imagine. I've only been at it for 6 months and that still holds true... I'm still waiting for the point where fitness gains actually slow down from, "wow, when did I get that strong/fast/agile/etc.?"
Now THAT is something I'd like to be saying in 6 months, haha.

As a former wrestler, I know what "fit" is, I just didn't realize how far away from it I was, hahaha!

It's just those dang pull-ups!!! I just want to be able to complete the WODs as perscribed. The only thing preventing me from doing that right now is those darn pull-ups! I know I have a terrible upper-body-stregth compared to my size (I'm 6'4", 240), but man. The "Twins" yesterday killed me since it took forever to both sets of pull-ups.

Other than that, keep bringing it on.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

I've been doing this for 3 years. Still learning improving and loving it.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
Namir Yedid

Profile:

This thread is an example of what makes Crossfit so rad. People of different training backgrounds, real ages, Crossfit ages, locations, etc all fired up about getting in great shape.

Welcome to the new folks. I just hit 2 months of strict CF today and have never felt better. My fitness improvements are coming fast and furious.

Out of curiosity, are you new(er) folks doing Zone and/or Paleo? I find the combo of Crossfit with Zone proportions and Paleo foods to be incredible.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
Kat Mcguire

Profile:

The thing I really like about crossfit as opposed to any other workout I've done is the variety and speed. When I can get an amazing workout that knocks me on my butt in 10-20 min (sometimes even less!) chances of my sticking with it are by far greater than any other program. Not to mention the competition with myself to get better, stronger, and hot! LOL
Started to use the zone this week, more for performance than any weight loss (I'm sure that will help with my ultimate goal of pullups though ). It's a bit complicated I find but I'll figure it out.

Welcome...keep us posted