CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 05-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
Andrew Benton

Profile:
Heard in the Office Today

So I know we have a seen in the globo thread thats pretty awesome, but todays office-dwellers inspired me to begin this one:

My company is hosting a "biggest loser" competition and today was weigh-in for the start. I overheard more than one woman saying after she got weighed in, "seeing that high number is more than enough reason for me to not eat anything else today"

/facepalm

Ive never heard so much bad nutrition and dieting advise than when I walk into a breakroom full of women. Seriously, if its not oatmeal with a coke, or a bottle of green tea with a honey bun... its always something.

Anyone got anything similar?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #2
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
Re: Heard in the Office Today

I work in an office full of the fat-is-bad theory. I've never heard so many people talk so much about good and bad food while eating so much junk. 100-calorie snacks of processed carbs, anyone?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I'll pass thank you. I was at a belly dancing show with some friends who knew the dancers. There was a girl there named "The Vegan Goddess". SHe was fat. When we started talking about diet, she said that being a vegan is better for you. I then asked why she was fat. Every jaw dropped. It was awesome.

Someone asked how I thought it was okay to say that. I asked how it's okay for a clearly fat and out of shape person to offer diet advice, body comp being mostly diet. She then said I was rude. I then said she was full of **** and half baked diet advice. This went on for a while.

I had a blast.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
Barry Cooper

Profile:

In college, I lived in a coop with a vegan whose daily breakfast was Fruit-Loops with water.

I won't go too far down this road, but I am reading, finally, "Good calories/bad calories", and it was amazing me to see C. Everett Coop--our Nutritional Czar, so to speak--go on record as saying that the evidence was better in favor of the low fat hypothesis than it had been when his office came out against smoking in the early 60's. At that point, precisely two studies had been done, on small homogeneous groups, whose results conflicted.

Yet when the Federal Government comes out in support of something, almost all opposition gets swept aside. There were no dissenting voices other than Atkins and a few others when the Oracle pronounced on "HOW IT IS".

Who should we blame, then, all these years later, that so much bad information is in the public space? Well, obviously they COULD educate themselves, but can we really blame them, that they took ideas that were drummed into their heads throughout their public school education, and kept them?

After all, what else could create fat but fat? It's just so obvious, isn't it? Moreover, if you're miserable, you must be doing something right, right?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I'll pass thank you. I was at a belly dancing show with some friends who knew the dancers. There was a girl there named "The Vegan Goddess". SHe was fat. When we started talking about diet, she said that being a vegan is better for you. I then asked why she was fat. Every jaw dropped. It was awesome.

Someone asked how I thought it was okay to say that. I asked how it's okay for a clearly fat and out of shape person to offer diet advice, body comp being mostly diet. She then said I was rude. I then said she was full of **** and half baked diet advice. This went on for a while.

I had a blast.
You make me happy
Old 05-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Wish I had been there for that little exchange lol
Old 05-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
Bruce Duco

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post

I had a blast.

Yeah, she's dumb. But arent belly dancers supposed to have a gut? I thought that was the whole point of belly dancing... to have a belly to dance with.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #8
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
Wish I had been there for that little exchange lol
ditto. well done, sir!
Old 05-05-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Duco View Post
Yeah, she's dumb. But arent belly dancers supposed to have a gut? I thought that was the whole point of belly dancing... to have a belly to dance with.
I don't know, man... the last time Lollapalooza was a tour, we had a whole belly dancing troupe, and most of those girls were pretty lean... it seems (to my uneducated-in-the-ways-of-belly-dancing self) that it's more about abdominal control and precison of hip movements. And rhythm, of course...
Old 05-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #10
Bruce Duco

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
I don't know, man... the last time Lollapalooza was a tour, we had a whole belly dancing troupe, and most of those girls were pretty lean... it seems (to my uneducated-in-the-ways-of-belly-dancing self) that it's more about abdominal control and precison of hip movements. And rhythm, of course...
Maybe you're right. I remember belly dancers being pretty thick in the hips though.