CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
Lauren Hall

Profile:
Back Pain Rant...

I've complained about lower back pain (I think it's an SI joint issue) on here before, but I've been doing well for a while now, which is why I'm so angry/frustrated about today. I was warming up for snatch work and when I squatted down and gripped the bar (I wasn't even freaking pulling at this point ) I felt the sharp shooting pain in the lower back that I know so well. I finished the workout (not a good idea probably, but it seemed to be going away) and then went grocery shopping where the typical symptoms started: tightening, pain when I bend over or squat, etc.

This situation is insanely frustrating for the following reasons:
1) I'm going to have to go to the doctor, which I hate doing.
2) The aforementioned doctor probably can't even do anything for this, since if it is what I think it is, the only real therapy is shots into the joint. Ugh.
3) I won't be able to squat below parallel for the next three weeks, which is great for CF where 99.9% of the workouts involve squats
4) My Oly lifting progress, which was awesome up to this point will be scr***d.
5) Finally, I'll be in continual pain for the next three weeks.
6) Even more finally, I wasn't even doing anything when it happened!!! It's not like this was a heavy snatch that I handled wrong. I squatted. That's it.

Ok, so sorry for the rant. I can't rant to anyone else, because no one understands my love of Oly lifts and CF, so no one understands how obnoxious it is to not be able to squat below parallel without continuous pain. I'm angry and depressed. End rant.

(Thanks for listening, those who bothered).
Old 04-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Back Pain Rant...

See a physical therapist who does manual therapy.

If your SI joint is out of alignment they should be able to pop it back in..... if they are in any way half decent.

Plus, get some massage on your muscles if they're tight.

If there's linger issues you need to get it corrected because what you're doing is not helping it resolve itself.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
Lauren Hall

Profile:
Re: Back Pain Rant...

Steve, thanks for the reply. I did something weird and cracked something last night, which I think popped it back into place. I worked out this morning without any ill-effects other than some stiffness.

I am, however, making an appt Monday to get a referral for a physical therapist. I need to make sure this isn't something more serious and, hopefully, learn how to pop the joint back into place myself if that's really what this is. Whatever I did last night wasn't intentional, so I probably can't replicate it when this happens again.

Thanks for the advice, and I'm actually taking it! Surprise, surprise.