CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-01-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
Ben Neff

Profile:
Shoulder Pain

I know that this has been covered a lot on this board, but was hoping for a confirmation of my thoughts.

I am having some acute shoulder pain in the front corner of my left shoulder. This started with a set of handstand pushups last week, and got worse with clean and press a couple of days later.

I feel a sharp pain at the bottom of a clean, and throughout pressing overhead.

I have lifted on and off over the past 10 years, but am relatively new to crossfit and explosive lifting. Based on other comments on the board, I think this is probably due to muscle imbalance, and posture problems.

I am planning to do a lot of streching, external rotation work, and pulling (no pushing) for a while and see if it gets better.

Any suggestions or comments??

Thanks,

Ben
Old 04-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Shoulder Pain

Ice and massage too.

Don't do anything that hurts.

Keep us updated.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
Kelly Sanders

Profile:

Hi Ben,
I have been injured for about 12 years (a little sad considering im in my early 20s)--chronic shoulder injuries from D1 swimming and subsequent surgeries, 2 elbow reconstructions, a cracked scapula, separated shoulder...blah blah blah. Needless to say, i know the injury story.

I think, however, that the beauty of CrossFit is that there is really something for everyone, you just have to be smart about how you approach substitutions...

I am in no way an expert, but after so many years of training injured i do have just a few personal recommendations--which you can take or leave!

1. Avoid pushups (sometimes hanging in pullups can be hard on shoulders too, but not for everyone), anything overhead (squatting etc etc) and handstand workouts until that shoulder has calmed down. Chronic inflammation just gets worse if you dont rest. You can always sub. If you have already started this, how's it going? Any difference?

2. Sub with regular back squats, abs, hollow rock, push up holds and jumping squats (instead of burpees), ring rows. If it's appropriate, do a met con piece.

3. Get one of your coaches to take 10 min with you to look at posture (walking, sitting, lifting). Sounds like you are well versed in the world of lifting, but sometimes the smallest things can make a difference? I found that a lot of time I end up slouched when walking and sitting, which exacerbates impingement issues.

4. Ice ice ice...20 min on, 30-40 min off (at least) to avoid any frostbite issues. I tend to ice multiple times in a day to get excessive inflammation down if necessary.

5. If you are still having acute pain within a week, I would do the doctor thing. They might refer to you to a PT. You don't really want to mess around with it too much (depending on how acute the pain is) because you obviously don't want to do more damage.

6. shoot me an email if you want any substitution advice (i'm the queen by now, and my CF is directed by a physical therapist so he has given me loads of options)

Hope thats helpful in some way...
Old 04-15-2009, 05:47 AM   #4
Ben Neff

Profile:

Thanks for the comments.

The acute pain is gone, but it still feels sensitive, especially during certain movements. I dont feel comfortable pressing overhead or doing external rotations out in front of my body (ie cuban press) with any heavy weight.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this stage of recovery? Acute pain is gone, and I have full range of motion, but I need to strengthen and align my shoulder.

Thanks,

Ben
Old 04-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Neff View Post
Thanks for the comments.

The acute pain is gone, but it still feels sensitive, especially during certain movements. I dont feel comfortable pressing overhead or doing external rotations out in front of my body (ie cuban press) with any heavy weight.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this stage of recovery? Acute pain is gone, and I have full range of motion, but I need to strengthen and align my shoulder.

Thanks,

Ben
30 mins of cross friciton massage everywhere, scapular mobility work, roll t-spine

Start working some strength back.

How does the rotator cuff muscles feel?