CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
Dan Ricciardi

Profile:
POSE running technique

Not sure which forum to post this in but since I have shin splints I will post here. And before you ask I did a google search and searched the forum and didn't find anything which addressed this question exactly. My question is what people's experience is with learning the POSE running technique? It seems like the sort of thing which would require one-on-one instruction and would be difficult to acquire on one's own just reading about it and watching videos.
Have the peolple here who have successfully transitioned to POSE running technique been able to do so without the aid of personal sessions? Is it really as effective as the hype?
There is a certified POSE instructor in VA beach but that's a bit of a hike from here.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
James Shelby

Profile:
Talking Re: POSE running technique

I've been learning on my own, but once I feel comfortable I'm headed to a runners clinic nearby. From what I have researched, it sounds like it is worthwhile to try. Anything that maximized balance work as micro musculature effort is good.

I am also an avid rock climber, so anything that beefs up my calves is a plus, and being able to thumbwrestle someone with my foot would be great.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: POSE running technique

Run barefoot on grass.

Running barefoot pretty much corrects your form to "passable" because if you run wrong it will hurt. Self correcting.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
Charles Burnett

Profile:

I tried to learn POSE on my own, and it was very difficult.

I ended up going to a CFE cert, primarily to learn how to POSE.

For me, an Army guy who has run nearly everyday of my 18 year career, POSE was a way to elongate my ability to run. It has worked. But, it takes time and effort to relearn how to run. And, I am faster. I work harder, have no pain when running and feel better afterwards. Running on grass will work. But, from what i've seen, as soon as someone puts those big, squishy, stability, cushioning widespread running shoes back on....they go right back to heel striking. Just ask Asmundson, he went back to heel striking when he switched to his old running shoes during his 100 mile attempt.

Just my 2 cents. If you are VA Beach go for it. I had to wait until I moved back to NC before I was close enough to go to a cert. If one had been in my town that would have been ideal. Pose coaching sessions are considerable less expensive than CFE cert.

Chuck B
Old 04-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Where is the POSE coah in Va Beach?
Old 04-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Where is the POSE coah in Va Beach?
do a little searching, I think that I search POSE coach and somewhere I found a list of coaches (might have even been on the POSE site itself)

KK
Old 04-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
Kulsoom Ahmed

Profile:

Is it worth attending a POSE cert if you do not have plans of being a trainer? For now, I am interested because my running is pretty bad (even though I wear vibram five fingers) and I waste a lot of energy.

A few trainers are around who have attended the POSE cert and I sat in when they were teaching some of the main drills, but I know I still do things wrong where it would help if someone was watching.

one cert is coming to my town.. but I hesitate because of the cost and the fact that I wont be teaching or earning an income off of that.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulsoom Ahmed View Post
Is it worth attending a POSE cert if you do not have plans of being a trainer? For now, I am interested because my running is pretty bad (even though I wear vibram five fingers) and I waste a lot of energy.

A few trainers are around who have attended the POSE cert and I sat in when they were teaching some of the main drills, but I know I still do things wrong where it would help if someone was watching.

one cert is coming to my town.. but I hesitate because of the cost and the fact that I wont be teaching or earning an income off of that.
You should base going to a cert off of:

1. How important running is to you and by extension
2. How bad your currect technique is to how much an improvement that would make.