CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #11
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Re: Connie
it has been estimated that 1 pound of muscle burns between 30-50 calories a day....even at rest!

Sorry to disappoint, but it isn't nearly that much. The increased metabolism comes from the fact that you exercised intensely recently, not the muscle tissue itself. On the other hand, lower intensity exercise barely raises metabolism.

However, the standard belief that muscle burns many more calories than adipose tissue is in fact erroneous. As best we can tell, muscle tissue burns only 5 to 7 calories per pound per day. Robert Wolfe, Chief of Metabolism and Professor of Biochemistry at the University of Texas Medical Branch, states that “every 10-kilogram difference in lean mass translates to a difference in energy expenditure of 100 calories per day, assuming a constant rate of protein turnover.” That’s 10 calories per kilogram of muscle, or slightly less than 5 calories per pound. Adipose tissue is marginally metabolically active burning approximately 2 calories per pound per day.
- CFJ #54

Re: Luke
Note what I said about low-intensity exercise not raising metabolism (above). High intensity compound movements are the best at "spot removing" fat. They remove it from the spot that is you in this universe, especially in combination with a good diet (The Zone diet is a good starting point).

On a related note: Pathetically funny thing I posted a week or two ago...
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/43350.html
(Safe.)
Old 07-01-2007, 07:29 PM   #12
Connie Morreale

Profile:
pstrick, thanks for the info....i will research further as what i have posted is a rather common factoid thrown around in the industry...
Old 07-01-2007, 07:29 PM   #13
Connie Morreale

Profile:
luke...you are kidding...right?
Old 07-01-2007, 07:36 PM   #14
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Armand - Luke was kidding, ignore his whole post. It's all bull****. Also why would you want a running schedule if you aren't going to run? Burning fat in certain areas is a myth anyways. You can build muscle in certain areas, but you can't burn fat there.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #15
Luke Hope

Profile:
Yes I was kidding. I deliberately said just about everything opposite to the Crossfit ideal (and my own personal beliefs). I hate bicep curls and crunches and never do isolation exercises. Of course intensity is the very thing that this site prescribes!

I'm sorry, the fact that a spot reduction question got on this site just made me let loose.

-Luke
Old 07-02-2007, 12:14 AM   #16
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Luke - nothing to be sorry about.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:31 AM   #17
Armand Nicolas

Profile:
errm ...
I think i will continue my routine based on my beliefs ...cuz it's working ... not like i i should wanted but it's working.
thanks anyway... :|
i tought thereare some typical exercises for those spots ... I will try some girls aerobic stuff and some thai boxing :-)
Old 07-02-2007, 02:34 AM   #18
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Doing an exercise for a certain area won't reduce the fat in that area. That's been said a million times, read it and understand it please.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:37 AM   #19
Armand Nicolas

Profile:
ohh ok ! ok ! :D i understand it now ,thats why i am going back to my routine. 10x.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:41 AM   #20
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Saying something to a million different people doesn't make it any less new to the million and first. If you're going to give bad information as a joke, can we keep it to the threads where the questioner isn't actually looking for real help? (Maybe even where English, never mind sarcastic English, is their first language?)

Taking out your frustration with the fitness industry on individuals is both counterproductive and misanthropic.