CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-17-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:
Starting Strength vs. Getting Stronger

Anyone have any experience with Bill Pearl's book "Getting Stronger?" I wondered how it compares with "Starting Strength."

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Scott A Martin

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength vs. Getting Stronger

Starting Strength gives detailed instructions on performing the squat, deadlift, press, bench press and power clean. The second edition, I believe, talks about a few additional exercises. It then gives one basic program.

I have no experience with Getting Stronger, aside from just looking at its table of contents on Amazon. It seems like it involves a lot more exercises, including the use of machines. A lot less instruction for each exercise. And multiple programs.

If your goal is to get stronger, I don't think you'll find many programs that are more tried and true than Starting Strength.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Coach rip used getting stronger as the bases for Starting strength.

If you go the SS route your going to have a boat load of people that will be able to assist you on the programming and theory behind it as its reaching near cult status.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:31 PM   #4
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Scott and Frank,

Thank you both for your information. I just want to ensure proper technique/form and only have experience with Getting Stronger. I've used that book as a reference for a number of years, with relative success - - until I got deconditioned.

I agree, Frank. There appears to be a strong following of Coach Rip's methodology. Everyone here on this forum (and then some!) stress proper form. That prevents injuries and will ensure that the person doing the work will gain from it. I am all over that concept!!

Scott, I definitely do want to get stronger. That is already happening just in this short (less than two weeks) time.

In short, I feel a book order coming on...........
Old 09-17-2008, 10:52 PM   #5
Chris Scott

Profile:

I'd add that by following the Starting Strength program, you'll have a reason to start following one of the funniest, most useful forums on the internet--Mark Rippetoe's Q&A. I'd also add that he's amazingly generous with his time. And a wildly funny guy.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:00 PM   #6
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Scott View Post
I'd add that by following the Starting Strength program, you'll have a reason to start following one of the funniest, most useful forums on the internet--Mark Rippetoe's Q&A. I'd also add that he's amazingly generous with his time. And a wildly funny guy.
Thanks, Chris! That's great that Coach Rippetoe has a good sense of humor. People in my shoes need it.............I get a lot of amusement watching myself trying to do CF!! I'm really glad I didn't try ballet or something...........
Old 09-17-2008, 11:21 PM   #7
Chris Scott

Profile:

I'm with you there. My huge embarrassing Crossfit moment is still in my future, but it's only a matter of time. Though who knows, my coordination may continue to improve fast enough to keep me from embarrassment... nah. Not likely. I've spilled too many drinks on people to believe that.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Scott View Post
I'm with you there. My huge embarrassing Crossfit moment is still in my future, but it's only a matter of time. Though who knows, my coordination may continue to improve fast enough to keep me from embarrassment... nah. Not likely. I've spilled too many drinks on people to believe that.
I'm still hoping that by the time I grow up, I will have some coordination. My daughter advises me to be extremely careful.............my warranty expired at 50 and I keep breaking too many things! (LOL).
Old 09-18-2008, 12:34 AM   #9
Chris Scott

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen R. Lampl View Post
...by the time I grow up....
And here I've been congratulating myself for not knowing what to do when I grow up... at age 30! I like your attitude. And I feel your pain from the opposite direction: Mom and Dad worry I'm going to cripple myself.

Parents these days... what can you do?
Old 09-18-2008, 03:23 AM   #10
David Meverden

Profile:

Even if you follow the programming in Getting Stronger, Starting Strength will still be worth you time and money to read as it explores, probably better than any other book out there, exercises that should be at the core of ANY strength program. The book focuses on Squats, Bench Press, Deadlift, Shoulder press, and Power Cleans with a chapter for each. The largest chapter, on squats, is 56 (yes, fifty six) pages long. This book made me realize I had known NOTHING about squats.

As for the popularity of SS around here realize that it's NOT hype. Crossfitters demand results, and when the goal is JUST to get stronger (note that Rippetoe is not concerned at all about six packs or muscle peaks) this guy delivers better than anyone else this group of athletes has ever found.

But (cue Reading Rainbow music) you don't have to take my word for it (ba dum dum!)