CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Sarah Lewis

Profile:
Double-jointed problems?!

I have a client that I train and she has double-jointed elbows. I hadn't really thought anything of it until we got into some paralette and ring work and of course she can't really hold her arms locked out because, well they don't lock out.
Has anyone else run into this? I am relatively new to training others and have never run across someone with this particular issue before. Any suggestions?

thanks
Old 09-06-2008, 12:41 AM   #2
Justin Shipley

Profile:
Re: Double-jointed problems?!

No but i have two female clients who can perform dislocates with thumbs nearly touching on the broomhandle.....!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
Justin McGinley

Profile:

On a related note, my girl friend has "double-jointed" elbows as well. Ones that extend to about 100 degrees or so. Is this going to cause an issue with locking out for overhead squats?
Old 09-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

I bet the guy who busted his elbow doing a snatch in the olympics wished he had double-jointed elbows at that moment.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
Keith Stevens

Profile:

I don't really understand why she can't lock out her elbows. Because she is double jointed I would think they would just lock at a bit of a different angle. Most gymnasts appear to be double jointed(unless we're talking about something different) and they deffinitely lock out with their moves.
Maybe try and contact Roger Harrell or one of the other gymnastic coaches about it.
Good luck, let us know what you find out
Old 09-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

This topic has popped a few times on DrillandSkills and Gymnasticbodies forum's. In fact, I just got flamed a bit by Coach Sommer on it, heh, because one of his guys has it and I made a statement that straight arm work can lead to this ( prior it was posted that an imbalance of straight and bent arm work can lead to it or exarcerbate it or cause pain ).

To conclude, this is partially genetic but also I think having to do with weak biceps which lets the elbow get freakish. They aren't really double jointed per say but just have a lot of laxity in their elbow joint. You'll probably also notice that some of these people with this are fairly weak in bent arm strength ( but this generally coincides with the fact that they never have worked out really ).

I generally see this more in women than men, but I also tend to notice it more in them also because of smaller arms.

Mine are actually curved in. I figure too many bicep curls once upon a time. I cannot remember or find any pictures as a youth. It's more common the younger they get and again I believe this is due to weaker biceps.

Stuff like OHS and arm lockouts ( supporting, hanging, handstands ) can be discomfortable, especially if they haven't built up decent bent arm strength. It's basically going to be a struggle against such moves because the elbow is in a weak position. It can also apply to knees.

Wow, Justin. Superloose shoulders they have. Ok, that sounds like Yoda.

She can lock out, it will just take a bigger angle or she may not be doing it due to discomfort of the elbow.

Think of it like an elbow break maneuver. With normal people ( hahah, I call it freak elbow ) you take the elbow to a point and it causes discomfort. Past that and it causes an elbow dislocate or tears something really good. In fact when teaching elbow locks, armbars, breaks it is really weird working with someone with elbows like these because they are so gumby like, it doesn't cause pain at the normal angle, and the fact that if I put any pressure on their elbows I swear I'm gonna snap'm.

Light loads and lots of bent arm work. I was implenting rope climbs, supinated pullups, and curls with my boys with this problem besides our general conditioning, etc.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
Sarah Lewis

Profile:

Blair,

I was wondering if that could be the problem. When you look at the structure of the arm muscles in particular the ones surrounding and supporting the elbow joint, it would stand to reason that development of the muscles there would help to decrease the over-extending of the joint.

I will see what I can do and post if I have any success after some arm building.

thanks
SL
Old 09-15-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Coach Sommer basically told me in that thread that basically there just needs to be a lot of bent arm strength to help protect the joint. However, I think such individuals are just screwed in general. I have never come across any info if the angle in the arm was decreased over time with bent arm strength work so I just dunno.