CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-26-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
Rob Egan

Profile:
Workout Induced Headaches

I've got a close friend of mine that started Crossfit about a month and a half ago. In the last few weeks he has been getting violent and painful headaches whenever he does certain types of strenuous exercise. Here are some details:

- Started with kipping pull ups
- No history of inexplicable headaches before Xfit
- Has seen a doctor and was cleared of any tumors/blocking complications (see: aneurysms)
- Usually only gets the headaches when in the horizontal plane. Pushups bring it on quickly, but elevated push ups do not. As said above, Kipping pullups also bring it on. Squats are no problem
- Clean diet. He knows how to stay hydrated and eats well. He doesn't Zone but he knows how to keep his diet in check
- He's checked online and found that this happens to about %1 of the bodybuilding population. However, this seems different since body weight exercises bring it on

I'm training him on the C2 and other varied workouts for now, to avoid the headaches. We're going to take it slow and start introducing exercises one by one to see what brings on the headaches, but if anyone has experienced this in the past then any advice would be much appreciated.

-Rob

P.S. I am double posting this in Health and Medical Issues and Injury. I am not sure where it would fit best, but admin please feel free to take away from one if it does not belong. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
Eric Sutich

Profile:
Re: Workout Induced Headaches

This is also started happening to me and I think it might have to do with pain meds I have been put on to sleep at night, due to the fact I am having knee surgery in a few weeks. But this did not start till I started these meds.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
Aileen Reid

Profile:
Re: Workout Induced Headaches

Is it related to cricking the neck in some way? For example when doing pushups is he trying to look up at the same time?