CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-18-2006, 04:47 AM   #11
Steven Low

Profile:
Weighted squats aren't really beneficial to those of us who don't need extra leg mass, but pistol progressions, tabata method squats and such are... But yeah, DLs and oly lifts as always are beneficial. :-) Well, unless you do tumbling, vault and giants on rings... DLs would beneficial (I don't anymore/haven't progressed there yet).

I've noticed that too Tim. When I go out climbing with some of my friends who climb all the time they are pretty impressed with my abilities (and I may even rival some of them WITHOUT any climbing technique) even though I only climb maybe a few times a year. I should really climb more often though cause it's really fun.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:15 AM   #12
Tim Triche, Jr.

Profile:
Gymnasts usually kick at climbing. The proprioception and balance that you develop transfer from the gymnastic apparatus to the rock pretty easily; once you get the footwork down pat, you will knock people on their . John Gill is regarded as the "father of bouldering" and affectionately known as the "Master of Rock" for his feats of sheer brutal difficulty and mind control in the 60's. (eg. climbing the Thimble with no pro, no spotter, no pad, and a back-breaking rail in the fall zone -- the difficulty and commitment was decades ahead of other American climbers at the time) Gill's specialty as a gymnast was the rings.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:34 AM   #13
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Actually some work with weighted squats is highly recommended for gymnasts. Some really low rep heavy weight stuff will help reduce strength deficit in the legs and improve power tremendously without adding much mass at all.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:12 PM   #14
Steven Low

Profile:
Ah, you're right Roger, silly me. But definitely in the strength zone range of reps they should be around ~1-4ish reps if you are going to do them.

Hehe, yeah Tim I have no footwork down at all nor do I have climbing shoes, but I was still doing pretty well just because of the upper body strength that helped me through a lot of the obstacles. Although my forearms were shot afterwards last time I went!
Old 07-18-2006, 06:05 PM   #15
Travis Hall

Profile:

thanks everyone for your replies. and thanks steven for giving me some much needed specifics to work with. it has been very informative.

as for the missing links- for legs. i do a lot of bw squats, pistols, and jumping squats and running- well, mostly sprinting these days. i don't really worry about them too much. i was blessed/cursed with naturally large strong legs. i'm sure they're the reason i don't have a front lever yet.... and might never have a planche!

as for lower back- i'm a little at a loss. i do dive bombers often and then there's the jumping stuff. i work wall crawls and bridges sometimes. i'm sure the levers are helping it a bit (i'm not sure how much the lower back is involved- maybe more then i think?). but it's probably my most neglected part. it's hard to hit it with body weight stuff.

anyway...
t.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:33 PM   #16
Steven Low

Profile:
For gymnasts they are naturally built up due to high plyometric moments during vault, tumbling and rings giants. For us mere mortals though deadlifts, oly lifting, hyperextentions, supermans, etc. will all work to strength our lower back/posterior chain.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:22 AM   #17
Adam Rooke

Profile:
John Gill was a demon. Have a look at his website to see some of the stuff he accomplished, absolutely savage. However, compared to his strength, he did not actually climb that hard, but being as strong as him does help a bit!

I have found that work on the rings has crossed over into my climbing very well, I am not gaining mass but just becoming stronger and stronger. THis is exactly why gymnasts are so good at climbing, they are relatively light compared to how strong they are, give them some finger strength and they will be tearing up the 8a's (5.13ish I think in your grades?) in no time at all

As regards weighted pull-ups etc. I have sessions of climbing with weight belts on and it does help me build up stamina / strength, but I do have to be very careful not to overdo it. Your tendons and ligaments take a lot longer to get stronger than your muscles do, so you cannot keep ramping up the weight. As said before, if you do like your elbows, don't perform them on bars, I have seen people who have had elbow problems for a long time because of doing that.

Just use some common sense and it will be fine!