CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 06-11-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
Brady Herrin

Profile:
Question about Rhabdo

Hey Guys,

First post, what a fun one. I happened upon the Rhabdo article while looking through one of the Certification info packets.

I feel like I MAY have had a brush with this a while back and wanted to get comments.

I, like many people, am really bad about slacking off from my workouts. Well, a while back I had probably had 3 paultry workouts within a 2 month period. Yikes. I'm also "bad" about hitting my workouts with extreme intensity once my motivation surfaces. I hit the gym for about an hour. I did 3 miles at a decent pace on the treadmill and then went to work on what was my circuit at the time. It included a LOT of lower back and oblique work. A lot of hyperextension, medicine ball chops, 1 legged touchdowns, etc. When I was done, I could hardly walk upright. I hit the showers and probably didn't hydrate enough.

Later that day, I started getting pains in my kidney. I was drinking water, but probably not the electrolytes I needed. Urine was quite dark. Very brown. The pain was worse overnight and I was getting sick to my stomach. My back wasn't tender, but it was a dulle ache, constantly. My doctor did blood and urine tests and found that I had high protein levels in my urine. He scheduled a catscan. The found that I had a small kidneystone and gallstones. They wanted to remove my gallbladder, but that's not for me. I continued to hydrate, taking electrolyte supplements, and was feeling MUCH better the next day. I haven't really had an issue since then.

I just want to make sure I watch out for it this time. I did my first CrossFit workout yesterday (and had a blast) and it murdered me. I've started working out in my warehouse gym again, so it was about 96 with very high humidity (Texas). I gave it 110% of what I had and was worthless for about 2 hours after. I'm going to cut back the intensity for the first month and see how I do.

Sorry for all the rambling, I just wanted to see if this was something I could be subject to. If so, is it just a matter of staying properly hydrated and working your way up to a 2:05 Fran
Old 06-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Question about Rhabdo

Yes, that sounds like rhabdo.

It's a matter of building up intensity slowly. It's admirable that you're diving in, but obviously it's also harmful.

If it happens again, drink a ton of water and head to the hospital -- this time you can tell THEM what to expect (exercise-induced rhabdomyolysis). But if it happens again I'm going to come whap you on the head.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Listen to your body also. If you are working hard enough to acheive muscle failure in any muscle group, or your whole body for that matter, you probably do not need to keep going. Once you have hit that wall continuing to go can be dangerous if you have not trained up to it. For example maxing out your pull ups, then when you cant do anymore switch to assisted, or jumping pull ups. Your body has allready given out, it is saying to stop and you should listen or suffer the consequences

-Robert
Old 06-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Frank E Morel

Profile:

and the consequences is renal failure with three times a week trips to the hemodialysis clinic and a renal diet that will make the zone look like a vegas hotel buffet.

seriousily, rhado isn't something to take lightly.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
Brady Herrin

Profile:

And I'd deserve it.

I DID tone down the weight on my thrusters yesterday, but I probably should have done 5 sets instead of 7. (15 thrusters, 21 jumping pull-ups).

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be careful for the first month. But then, be ready. I'll be trying to break some records

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
But if it happens again I'm going to come whap you on the head.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
Brandon Oto

Profile:

BrandX has scaled versions of every WoD in various degrees; check the FAQ for links.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
Brady Herrin

Profile:

Groovy, I'll check that out.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Heh, avoid anything but really really really really light work while it's healing (still swelling & pain).

Depending on how bad it is you might have strength loss for week or months afterwards. Significant setbacks which is why it is important to SCALE DOWN TO YOUR ABILITY LEVEL.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #9
Brady Herrin

Profile:

Sometimes I don't have a choice.

Like today's WOD. I can't do the pullups, so I'll be doing jumping pullups

That being said, I guess I just didn't know my ability level. I'm in my 4th year of triathlons. I have mainly done sprints, but have one olympic under my belt. I was hoping to do my first half this year, but I let my fitness get away from me over the winter. I'm probably going to have to scale down my tri-goals this year and hope that with CrossFit I'll be able to get my fitness where I want it to be for next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Significant setbacks which is why it is important to SCALE DOWN TO YOUR ABILITY LEVEL.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #10
Adam Drake

Profile:

If you felt better the next day I'd say it is -extremely- unlikely that you had rhabdo. If you were having issues with your gallbladder that would explain the pain you were having.

Either way, it's always best to take things at the pace you feel comfortable with. Just don't worry too much about rhabdo