CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
Jenna Dodge

Profile:
Open blisters on palms...help!

I don't know if this is the best place to post. I did the WOD today (120 pullups/120 dips) and at pull-up #85 I developed huge, deep, open blisters on my palms! Both of them. How do I take care of them? And also, how do I tape them so I can work out tomorrow?

I already cut the flaps of skin off and soaked my hands in sea-salt water (yes, it's as painful as it sounds!). They are incredibly painful, but I want to be able to keep working out. Somebody told me there's a video that demos how gymnasts wrap their hands but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Also, any tips for faster healing would be great. Can I put Vitamin E oil on an open wound like that? It's not bleeding...just threatening to.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
Neil Khant

Profile:
Re: Open blisters on palms...help!

I used to put vitamin E on my rips, But I am not a doctor.

Here is another thread that may help.

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=15485

Good luck.

WFS...I always forget to say that when I link to a Crossfit forum thread.

Last edited by Neil Khant : 03-24-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
Steven Ngo

Profile:

http://rifsblog.blogspot.com/2007/05...our-hands.html (w/f/s)
Old 03-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Jenna Dodge

Profile:

Thanks Steven! that's exactly what I wanted to see!
Old 03-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
Frank Tardi

Profile:

ouch sounds like it hurts - however cuttin them off is not the best way to get them to heal properly. being a former gymnast, our coach always had us rip them off in order to make the skin even for quicker healing. usually when you try cutting them off or using nail clippers to clip them off, it still leaves just a tiny bit of a raised area or flap which can hurt and delay the healing process. try literally ripping them off in a circular motion in order to keep them at even skin levels. also, if you have calluses, get a callus remover cuz these tend to rip off an create more problems on yer hands. a callus remover doesnt actually remove it but sands them down to be even with yer skin so they dont bunch up and peel off and all. if its hard to understand sorry, i jus thought id put my two cents in - good luck!
Old 03-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #6
James Rios

Profile:

First of all fear not, if properly taken care of your hands will become stronger and stronger almost by the workout. However there are a few guidelines.

1. i know it sounds weird but make sure you keep your calluses trimmed. if you don't they will pinch and pull off in a rather painful manner. you can get special tools for this but I've found that just using sandpaper seems to do the trick. Sand your calluses until they are level with the rest of your skin. This will teach your calluses to grow wider and stronger instead of upward. NOTE: DO NOT DO THIS RIGHT BEFORE YOUR WORKOUT!!! i only had to learn that once.

2. BUT when your hands do tear, wash and clean them just like you did. however, one thing that i find helps me get back into the mix quickly is putting super glue on the torn area. I KNOW this sounds WAY ODD but trust me it works. Super glue acts like an insta-callus. However, be CAREFUL. Once clean, apply a thin layer to the torn area. Make sue you don't put to much on, or your skin wont be able to bend properly anymore. However, if done correctly the results are great.
i even carry some super glue in my workout bag. Its called Bondini and has a brush that makes it perfect for this application. I have used it during a bout with Angie (100 pull ups, pushups, sit ups, squats for time,) at Pull up 89 a chunk of skin pulled off right in the middle of my palm. so i went cleaned it thoroughly and then applied some super glue and kept on trucking.

Hope this helps
Old 03-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Gloves may help you keep training in the short term.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna Rettenmayer View Post
I don't know if this is the best place to post. I did the WOD today (120 pullups/120 dips) and at pull-up #85 I developed huge, deep, open blisters on my palms! Both of them. How do I take care of them? And also, how do I tape them so I can work out tomorrow?

I already cut the flaps of skin off and soaked my hands in sea-salt water (yes, it's as painful as it sounds!). They are incredibly painful, but I want to be able to keep working out. Somebody told me there's a video that demos how gymnasts wrap their hands but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Also, any tips for faster healing would be great. Can I put Vitamin E oil on an open wound like that? It's not bleeding...just threatening to.

Thanks!
I had this issue about 6 weeks ago and I literally stopped doing all pulling exercises until they healed (the salt soak helped speed this up). It took a week of not deadlifting and no pullups, but I had torn skin 3 consecutive weeks while Deadlifting and it had to stop. sometimes you need to take a break, sometimes not. If it becomes a recurring problem then you should let it heal completely, then keep your callouses flat.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #9
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

James -

What number sand paper are you using on your hands?

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 03-24-2008, 05:55 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Here's the other thread where I illustrated making a tape grip (not like the one in the picture). It drastically conserves tape as compared to the former link and can be reused over and over again.

wfs
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=28480

I rip off and salt. Moisturize all of the other time.

Avoid ripping as much as possible. It's like an injury that prohibits you from working out well........... not sure why most people don't treat it as such.