CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
Colin Jenkins

Profile:
CF and Adderall

I'm about to start training a guy who has ADD and takes adderall most days of the week. I know that adderall can rapidly speed up your heart beat. Should I be worried? What kinds of precautions should I take? If anyone has any knowledge on the subject, please let me know so I don't make a wrong choice. Thanks
Old 03-20-2008, 05:39 AM   #2
Tom Fetter

Profile:
Re: CF and Adderall

Both I and my son have taken Adderall. We've had no issues from it aside from trouble sleeping. Certainly no experience of racing heart, or anything else which would restrict activity. We've each been doing CF regularly since the beginning of last Summer.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:11 AM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Tom,

I'm going to be getting back on Adderal here in the next month. Have are you taking the regular stuff or the long lasting? I had some problems training on adderal before, but that was mostly heavy lifting. Feel free to PM me. Thanks
Old 03-20-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

I used to take adderall and due to hypertension I switched to ritalin. I noticed that my pulse was fast, and I became nauseous easily when I started crossfit. Just be aware of the breathing and heart beat. You may want to scale to see how everything is. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

When I'm on adderal, I have 2 main problems.

1. I have a hard time contracting forcefully. SS or PP would be a problem, most of the WODs would be doable.

2. I become very cerebral and would rather read, study, solve quantum mechanics than physically challenge myself.

I think I'm going to try to train before I take the medication. I really hate mornings though. We'll see. Again, any advice or observations are welcome. I will posy here with my thoughts and experinces.

On a side note, I have a feeling that Crossfit appeals to those with some level of ADD. THe variety keeps it novel, the intestiy gives you that extra stimulus to fully engage.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

You are right. CF is great for ADD because of the variety. Is it possible to do your workout before taking the adderall?
Old 03-20-2008, 10:28 AM   #7
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Oops. Just re-read your post about training before taking the medication. Good idea. My first dose obviously wore off.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:24 AM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

No worries, the chance of me doing my workout before my first dose is based on being able to get out of bed in the morning. I apperciate the help, this is a hard decision for me.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:27 AM   #9
Lori Neville

Profile:

I know I am a little late in the game answering here but I just wanted to give my two cents FWIW.

I have been on Ritalin most of my life and currently on my third try with Adderall. This first time I took it suppressed my appetite so bad that I lost 20pounds in a month and the second time I believe I was overdosed. Basically I felt like I was cracked out all the time. But now I am on Vyvanse (the long-acting Adderall) and it is working very well. From my experience, the only times that I noticed a change in heart rate when on either Ritalin or Adderall was when I was switching medications and taking for the first time. Basically when my body was getting use to having a new drug in my system. Once my body got use to it, I was fine.

Quote:
No worries, the chance of me doing my workout before my first dose is based on being able to get out of bed in the morning. I apperciate the help, this is a hard decision for me.
Have you tried setting your alarm clock an hour earlier than when you really have to get up? I have the WORST time dragging myself out of bed so I got an alarm clock that has two alarms on it. The first alarm goes off and I take my meds (The meds and water are on the nightstand) and then go back to sleep. The meds normally start working before the second alarm goes off so when it does go off it is SOOO much easier to get up.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:14 AM   #10
Kevin McPherson

Profile:

As a CFer who also happens to be a psychiatrist, couldn't help but put in my 2 cents.

Main issue with adderall, ritalin, all the stimulants really, is overheating and dehydration. Where I'm currently at it's especially problematic(see my location). Be sure to drink enough water, and cool down appropriately.

As far as heart rate goes, all the comments make sense. If you notice dizziness/light headedness/headaches, stop. Talk to your doc about working out and the meds, make sure your BP is okay, etc.

The idea of working out pre-medication sounds good, too, if you can get up in time.

Whatever you do, don't stop working out entirely because of the medication. Working out can be really helpful when it comes to all psychiatric conditions, including ADD.