CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-03-2003, 09:44 AM   #1
Andrew Hutton

Profile:  
If Im an ectomorph, and I bulk up say 40lbs, how hard will it be to stay that way?? Will I have to stick to the ectomorph bulking routine or what?

Id like to bulk to about 200 (from 170) than hit up some HIIT and powerlifting, but I dont know if this will affect my gained bulk. Thanx...
Old 12-03-2003, 11:37 AM   #2
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

I'm by no means an expert on this subject. However, to get big you have to eat big, to stay big you have to eat big. I eat my share of food at 150 (never hungry). If I were to go up to around 180-190, I can't even fathom the amount of food I would have to consume in order to maintain weight. A while back I was at 175 (I'm 5'7 by the way) and I ate everything in site. At the time I exercised like a maniac, but, it goes to show that as you gain weight you have to continue to eat large amounts of food in order to maintain. I'm sure others will be able to offer you a lot better advice. Figured I would just add my thoughts and experience.

-Jay
Old 12-03-2003, 10:41 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Andrew-

I used to consider myself an "ectomorth" in that it was hard to gain muscle and what not. Crossfit and a modified Zone diet (more fat and protein, less carbs) has made it almost easy to gain and maintain muscle. I am moving from a normal untrained BW of 145 or so to 165-170. I see this optimiozing at around 175-180. I do need to be very consistent with meals and sleep. focus on performance on the WOD and make sure your nutrition and lifestyle are bullet-proof....it will be so easy it will seem like cheating compared to what you have likely suffered through previously.
Robb
Old 12-04-2003, 09:24 AM   #4
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Rob,

Are you no longer following NHE? Just curious.

-Jay
Old 12-04-2003, 10:05 AM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jay-

Not specificly, however I keep many of the useful ideas. For example if I get in late and need to eat it will likely be a protein/fat meal or if I just feel like my carb quota has been met I will make my meals mainly protein/fat. For my personal needs I have ratcheted down the carbs recomended by the Zone by about 25-50%.
Robb
Old 12-04-2003, 11:44 AM   #6
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Sounds good. Gotta do what works for you :-)
BTW: Thanks for all of the help in the past.

-Jay