CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-29-2003, 08:27 AM   #1
Cliff Seminerio

Profile:  
I just recieved the Iron Mind catalouge and was looking at the different apperati(sp?) for developing grip strength, and I was curious as to if any of it would be beneficial to me.

I am a Brazillian Jiu Jitsu competitor and while I understand the benefits of a good grip, would extra grip training along with the WOD's and Jiu-jitsu be too much? If not, any suggestions? And if you've used the Iron Mind equipment, let me know how it works.

Thanks a bunch!!

Cliff

Old 05-29-2003, 12:44 PM   #2
John King

Profile:

Cliff,
IronMind has some great products. I have the captains of crush grippers #1 and they are very challenging to me. Also the "telegraph keys" are very good for grip strength.
As far as too much training goes, approaching heavy grip work like you would approach any other heavy lift is probobly the way to go. For example do 2x5, 54321, or heavy singles, a few times a week. That wouldnt be overtraining and should really strengthen your grip.
John
Old 06-20-2003, 07:30 AM   #3
Kurtis Bowler

Profile:
Cliff,
I agree with John, Ironmind does have some great equipment. I have all of their grippers and several other things as well. As far as grip for BJJ goes. I would think some thick bar stuff for grabbing wrists and towel pullups or maybe some "Eagle Loop" pullups for grabbing clothing/finger strength. I also think John is right on the money about approaching it like any other heavy training.
Kurtis
Old 06-22-2003, 10:21 AM   #4
Scott Parker

Profile:
you also might want to try a hangboard. i have one at home and use it for training grip/tendon strength because i'm a climber. you can pick one up at any shop that sells climbing gear. cost between $50-$100.
requires minimal installation, and is installed over a doorway.

scott