CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 01-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #11
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Traditionally, Pride had a much bigger money resource than UFC, but things have changed drastically in the last couple years with the popularization of MMA in the States. I would not consider either a feeder for the other, but rather both "A Level" organizations. They are pretty much the only two "A Level" promotions out there.

K-1 also dabbles in MMA (under the name 'Heroes'), but they've had a very rocky time of it. They sometimes set up good matches, but they don't have the depth of fighters and commitment to the sport, in my opinion. They seem more interested in stealing fighters from Pride, rather than building up their own MMA promotion.

There are TONS of smaller organizations, of both good and questionable reputations, all over the US, in Japan, Europe, Brazil, and developing in other countries, as well. MMA is experiencing a huge surge in popularity in Korea at this point, too -- hence the appearance of Korean fighters recently in Pride.

In regards to Michael McDonald - I believe he is still fighting.

Rick Roufus has never fought for the UFC. Other than CroCop the main guy that has come over from K-1 would be Mark Hunt. LeBanner was always threatening to come over to MMA, too, but it never happened.

And then there's Gary Goodridge - who started in UFC and Pride, and then moved to K-1. And same with Bob Sapp - he started in Pride and then moved to K-1.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #12
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
"LeBanner was always threatening to come over to MMA"

Lebanner has fought MMA 5 times(3-1-1), though some were under special rules.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #13
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Sorry, thanks for noticing that -- that should have read UFC, not MMA. He's fought for Heroes, and was in talks a few times to come over to the UFC, but it didn't happen.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:40 AM   #14
Peter Queen

Profile:
“They sometimes set up good matches, but they don't have the depth of fighters and commitment to the sport, in my opinion.”

Is it the sport or just a change in policy that they are loosing a taste for? Maybe the old school guys don’t like what Pride and UFC style fighting has to offer. I don’t know, I am only speculating.:g:

“They seem more interested in stealing fighters from Pride, rather than building up their own MMA promotion.”

Sounds like K1 might be struggling for viewer-ship so they are offering big incentives for top named Pride fighters. It also seems like a lot of these guys jump around a lot. Is it for better fights with better purses or is it just to help keep themselves challenged and conditioned? I guess it would be little of both.

I have to laugh at myself now because I am getting spoiled by watching UFC. That is because when I watch K1 fights or other kick boxing matches, I half expect to see some elbows flying and if someone hits the mat, I expect see an attempt at a submission hold of some kind. Maybe it’s just me. :happy:

Thanks again Becca. Wow, my head is spinning.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:39 PM   #15
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
K-1 GP and Heros are a joke. In all went down hill after Andy Hug died and they couldn't find a new face for K-1.

K-1 MAX is the only one worth watching.

I'd still say Pride has better fighters and rules...and fans.

Personally I like watch Deep, ZST, Smackgirl better than K-1 GP, Heros, or the UFC.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:38 PM   #16
Leon Robotham

Profile:
Thanks for the insight guys. I think that the fight with Rampage will be another tough one for Chuck and if Cro Kop does drop the weight then there could be an upset, obviously it all comes down to the night.

Matthew

It is a must to watch the K-1 Max, or anything other shows like lumpinee stadium fights etc if they have the BUAKAW POR.PRAMUK this man is a machine. In my eyes the meanest 24 year old 70kg Thai fighter for a long time. He fights with grace, pride and a never say die attiude. If an opponent scores 1 he makes sure he scores 2 right back.

Did you get to see the 2006 finals when he fought Andy Sower in th final?
Old 01-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #17
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Yeah, I have never missed a K-1, MAX, GP, or Heros. But I only get excited about MAX.

I also like Songchai's S-1 and Superleague.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:19 AM   #18
Leon Robotham

Profile:
Well, you certainly know your stand up.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:28 AM   #19
Brian Cornwell

Profile:
I thought Chuck was going to fight Wanderlei Silva, what ever happened to this? DId I miss it?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:30 AM   #20
Leon Robotham

Profile:
Brian

It didn't come off. I was told that it was some kind of publicity stunt for Pride entering the US, can't be sure but that's what Ive been told.