CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-24-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
Christian Eric Montano

Profile:

I know this subject has been beat to death; however, the only threads I've found on the subject are like2 years old. I know alot of new equipment has come out since then so I find myself asking you experienced members " what is the best timer for Tabata Intervals?" Also one with a loud interval signal.

Thanks for any and all assistance!!!
Old 06-24-2005, 06:28 PM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Christian
I deleted your identical post from the Starting topic; please don't cross-post.
Thanks,
Old 06-24-2005, 09:36 PM   #3
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Try searching again...I can think of 2 threads off the top of my head where this was discussed within the last month.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:41 PM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Christian - As a genuine equipment freak, allow me to suggest three alternatives. The first is the cheapest and easiest - just get a wall clock with a sweep second hand. You have to keep track of the sets but it is very easy to just look at the clock as you do your reps. If you need an auditory alarm and the room is fairly quiet the new Timex OVA watch (Optimum Viewing Angle) has a timer feature you can set so the first alarm goes off at 20 seconds, the second 10 seconds later and then it repeats. There is a thread on the OVA watch here in the Equipment section. The only problem is that it is a bit quiet with the alarm.

That brings me to my new favorite toy. It is called the Laptech Pro and it is a swim timer that you can mount on the pool edge. When you touch it the timer counts the lap and records the time. You can also set the 20/10 Tabata time on it and the alarm sound is louder than the Timex watch. A friend of mine that I coach in swimming got it for me off of Ebay, no idea how much it cost.

CFHQ has a Tabata timer that counts down the time and sounds a buzzer as well. Somebody made it for them so I would bet you could have someone make one for you as well.

So that's four, you got an extra one for free. I really like the Laptech Pro but I may look into having one made just to have the louder buzzer and the set timer.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:01 AM   #5
Chris Forbis

Profile:
My Timex Ironman watch is perfect for Tabata Intervals. I set a 30 second, repeat timer. When it has counted 10 seconds, I start my first Tabata interval. When it beeps, I rest. The timer sounds for 10 seconds, so when it is done beeping, I start my second interval.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:09 AM   #6
Michael Nobori

Profile:
IIRC, someone in an older thread suggested setting your timer for 28 sec. This allows 2 secs to reset the timer and gives you a more accurate 10 sec rest.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:44 PM   #7
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I just start my stop watch once and keep an eye on it. At 20s I rest, at 30s I go, at 50s I stop, 1:00 go. . . till the 3:50 mark, then I collapse.

No need to start and stop the watch.

I still want to digitally compose some music that will have cues (like a 3-2-1 countdown for each round, and hard music for effort, soft music for rest). I am just having trouble finding the time.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:29 AM   #8
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5786086154

Just ordered this timer for when I teach academic classes to keep me posted on the time, but also to see if it will work for Tabata timing. It says you can set up to 12 timers so I will test it out when it shows up and advise how it works.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:02 AM   #9
Joshua Newman

Profile:
If you have a Palm handheld or phone, download the free PalmRunner, a great interval timer that's perfect for Tabata's.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:10 AM   #10
Jim Butts

Profile:
Large wall clock with sweep second hand. Works great! I'm a minimalist and Eugene's gadgets would just confuse me ;)