CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-10-2007, 07:29 AM   #1
Barry Cooper

Profile:
It's not you, it's society http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/10/he...html?th&emc=th

(w/f safe link)

Isn't it amazing how much the human genome can alter in as little as thirty years?
Old 07-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
You can improve will power by selecting quality carbs, high insulin will really undermine will power.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:00 AM   #3
Michael Tong

Profile:
The societal culture now (and it has been building for years) is one of victimhood. Everything is a disease, environmental or someone else's fault. It is legitimized by certain professions, the government, and shrewd marketeers, and then it is proliferated via modern media 24/7. It turns my stomach.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:02 AM   #4
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I'm being tongue in cheek. I chose to put my tongue there, just as I choose when to open my mouth, and what to put in there. As Zig Z. put it: I've never put anything in my mouth by accident in my life.

I personally don't always make the choices which optimize my health and performance levels, but I accept the consequences, and I don't pretend it's someone else's fault.

What you see in that link is a concerted effort, in effect, to make fat people victims of one sort or another.

In one formulation, it's the drug-er--FOOD companies (it's usually the drug companies, I just got momentarily confused) that make food that people just have to eat, since it's there. Logically, this means that these types of foods should be banned.

In the second formulation, some sort of genetic "thing" makes some people, well, just more PRONE to getting obese. Just born that way, sorry to say. It's not your fault, dear. We'll have a genetic therapy soon that will make all the flab just melt away. In the meantime, eat as much as you want.

And yet, we were much skinnier 30-40 years ago, and forever before that. You know what has changed? Our expectations about personal responsibility, itself indicative of a shared cultural sense of personal control and choice. We have surrendered our birthright for a bowl of low-fat porridge, served up by a priest in a lab coat.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:59 AM   #5
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
"And yet, we were much skinnier 30-40 years ago, and forever before that. You know what has changed? Our expectations about personal responsibility, itself indicative of a shared cultural sense of personal control and choice. We have surrendered our birthright for a bowl of low-fat porridge, served up by a priest in a lab coat."

A few other things have changed as well:

The average lifestyle is much less physically demanding, more driving, less walking, more electronic entertainment, remote controls, more aircon. In 1911 in GB 74% of people worked manual labour, in 1991 that was 31%.

Food is the cheapest it's ever been. Portions sizes are the biggest they have ever been. Fast food is the most available it's ever been. People cook at home less that the ever have.

From the age of dot children and adults are bombarded with advertising for food and given confused mixed messages about what a healthy diet is.

Our genome hasn't changed. The thrifty gene theory would seem to back that up. Plenty of studies back up unconscious eating, if food is there we will eat it. Eating in front of the TV instead of family around the table dinners accentuate this issue

I don't think people have less willpower now. I think you need way more will power that you did 30 years ago. You had to think less about diet and exercise because you had less readily available high calorific food and worked physically harder.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:03 AM   #6
Gina Fleming

Profile:
Wow. I've only been lurking here since Sunday and already I love it :happy:

First let me echo the sentiments expressed here. As a newly certified school psychologist, I could be accused of being one of those professionals Michael referred to as legitimizing our current culture of victims. "It's not your fault, it's your mother's" etc. To be sure, I was trained in the public health model of service delivery. However, I have always staunchly believed in individual responsibility. I am saddened to see this new era of helplessness eat away at what has, I feel, previously made American culture so strong. I plan to use my position as a mental health professional in the public schools to impress, as Barry said, "personal control and choice" on today's youth. I may be just shoveling against the tide, but I can at least try...
Old 07-11-2007, 07:50 AM   #7
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
*sigh* two syllables...

LA.... ZY

My club's speedskating coach has a saying about why very few people do speedskating (and it applies here as well), he says "Speedskating is hard... and most people are quitters".
Old 07-12-2007, 05:17 AM   #8
Alain Latour

Profile:
The main culprit is, in my view, ignorance. I'm continuously amazed at how little people know about nutrition. A food lover friend of mine recently asked me which kinds of foods carbs and protein are! He has no idea where mashed potatoes or steak fall in.

On the other hand, it is definitely true that the huge amount of contradicting theories don't make it easy to know which diet to follow (diet as in a permanent way of eating, not as a 2-week stage). It took me two years of active searching to find crossfit and the zone and paleo diets. Even though I refused to strictly follow the traditional pyramid, I used to believe that fats and too much meat were bad and that grains were good for you.

Lastly, the problem is far worse in Northamerica than in Europe. People over there know to }enjoy food, which means eat slower --and therefore less. Take your time. Develop an appreciation for diverse types of food. Be adventurous. At the risk of repeating something you guys probably know already, the French eat about 3 times more cheese and 7 times more butter than Americans (or perhaps it's the other way around), yet they are among the world's healthiest and thinnest. I never fail to be amazed at how much pleasure they derive from eating in such a delicious and smart way.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:54 AM   #9
Barry Cooper

Profile:
You know, I just noticed the mod's added the w/f safe part. Thank you, and my apologies. Apparently my rabies has affected my mentdull function. Fortunately it has had no behavioral expression.

Herewith is a w/f safe link on a logical solution, within a certain mindset: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070712/...britain_fat_dc

I don't share that mindset.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:15 AM   #10
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
we were much skinnier 30-40 years ago, and forever before that. You know what has changed? Our expectations about personal responsibility,

No. The only relevant change is that calories are cheaper.