CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
Cheradene Dudley

Profile:
How to build a periodised plan?

Does anyone have advise on how I can build a multicycle periodised plan for CF? I know of others who use periodisation in their individual sport and find it to be successful but as we crossfitters all know, CF is not your ordinary run of the mill sport. I'm keen to test this out but not sure where to start? Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you
Old 04-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
Latham Fell

Profile:
Re: How to build a periodised plan?

Ooh, the P-word!

You could get in touch with Dutch Lowy and ask for advice (link WFS): http://www.dutchlowy.com/2009/02/03/periodization/
Old 04-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: How to build a periods plan?

I don't have the answer but will add some food for thought. I turn 45 in January 2013. I'm currently starting a 2 year training program with the goal to make sectionals. This sounds a lot like periodization.

I know that I need to be ready by 3-15-13 for what will probably still be 6 Open W.O.D.s.

The last 90 days will be all about maximizing met-con and power output capacities. With a 1 week taper into the first Open W.O.D..

For Masters athletes staying healthy and rested/recovered through the 6 weeks will be key. So that gets me back to 1-1-13.

When I inventoried my CrossFit strengths and weakness it was clear I need to get stronger, a lot stronger. So I started with Starting Strength novice program and have now moved to 70's Big S&C program. My lifting numbers are increasing rapidly. I have also put on about 8 lbs.. During the next two years I will need to figure out ideal completive body weight. I have good enough nutritional control that I can move my weight up and down fairly easily.

After I get strong enough I will launch into a big skills learning effort. Don't want to be fit enough to make sectionals but get hung up on a skill in the open W.O.D.s. Simply put I will make sure I'm practised at every movment I can find in CrossFit programing.

As you can see I'm slowly filling in the time between now and 3-15-13. Welcome to periodization. Individual programing will have to be planed carefully when each period in entered into. Basic movement, load, intensity and rest.

I guarantee all serious CrossFit games athletes are starting to think this way. Peter Egyed has all ready stated on video that he will do his best this year but is really aiming at the 2012 games. He is a Faster Again sponsored athlete who has been in every Games so far.

The games are getting big enough and serious enough that I expect people with a real shot will not be talking much about their training programs. The message to the public will be I do CrossFit, in reality they will be doing programing above basic CrossFit. Which is the way it should be.