CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #91
Aushion Chatman
Affiliate Aushion Chatman is offline
 
Aushion Chatman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 3,342
Re: Any main pagers left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
FWIW, I think Josh Everett's program before the 2009 Games centered on sprinting and Oly lifts. He was beaten pretty convincingly by people with more Games-specific programming.

So I think you need to draw a line between just wanting GPP and wanting to compete, whether in Crossfit or any other sport. Elite level events are, IMO, always going to be won by specialists in those events.

Katherine
Very true, it's just as arrogant for someone who doesn't do CF to think they can dominate the CF Games as it is for CF'ers to think they can just go dominate other sports...
__________________
My Youtube Channel
CFSD Yelp
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #92
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: Any main pagers left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
FWIW, I think Josh Everett's program before the 2009 Games centered on sprinting and Oly lifts. He was beaten pretty convincingly by people with more Games-specific programming.

So I think you need to draw a line between just wanting GPP and wanting to compete, whether in Crossfit or any other sport. Elite level events are, IMO, always going to be won by specialists in those events.

Katherine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Very true, it's just as arrogant for someone who doesn't do CF to think they can dominate the CF Games as it is for CF'ers to think they can just go dominate other sports...
Aushion, I never said dominate the CF Games. The context of this argument was general physical preparedness, and that you don't need to do metcons with any frequency in order to do really well at them.

Josh Everett's condition just proves my point. Maybe Josh Everett got "convincingly beaten" by Crossfit specialists who wanted to be the best Crossfitter, but my point is that he can still do exceptionally well -- better than most people -- at a variety of tasks by doing almost nothing but Olympic lifting and sprinting. And let's not forget that he could probably do better at Oly lifting and track and field events better than most any of the other competitors there. Reminds me of a quote...

So it's not hard to imagine that if you added in some endurance training (sprinting does not count) and some basic upper body muscular endurance to that regimen, you would be very well generally prepared.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #93
Aushion Chatman
Affiliate Aushion Chatman is offline
 
Aushion Chatman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 3,342
Re: Any main pagers left?

Shane that wasn't directed at you, just a general statement. I was agreeing with katherine's last sentence, I should have just quoted that.
__________________
My Youtube Channel
CFSD Yelp
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:00 AM   #94
Latham Fell
Member Latham Fell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Arlington  VA
Posts: 72
Re: Any main pagers left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Aushion, I never said dominate the CF Games. The context of this argument was general physical preparedness, and that you don't need to do metcons with any frequency in order to do really well at them.

Josh Everett's condition just proves my point. Maybe Josh Everett got "convincingly beaten" by Crossfit specialists who wanted to be the best Crossfitter, but my point is that he can still do exceptionally well -- better than most people -- at a variety of tasks by doing almost nothing but Olympic lifting and sprinting. And let's not forget that he could probably do better at Oly lifting and track and field events better than most any of the other competitors there. Reminds me of a quote...

So it's not hard to imagine that if you added in some endurance training (sprinting does not count) and some basic upper body muscular endurance to that regimen, you would be very well generally prepared.
So, your point is that one can get good at Crossfit by focusing on each aspect by itself, and developing each through more traditional means. There are so many things in Crossfit that this would be very time consuming. The whole point of Crossfit metcons is that you are getting your aerobic and anaerobic conditioning, stamina, coordination, etc. etc. all developed at once, in a workout lasting between 2 minutes and 1 hour. This is more efficient than trying to combine four for five separate traditional training programs. By my count, you've prescribed an Oly lifting program, a sprinting regimen, an endurance program, and a "basic upper body muscular endurance" program. If you wanted to be remotely prepared for a Crossfit competition, you have to throw in a double-under program, a gymnastics program, and a strength program. So that's seven separate programs running.

Most people don't have time for this. Really, no one should have time for it, because it's inefficient. The whole point of Crossfit is that it jams all of these programs into a single workout lasting 2-60 minutes, giving you plenty of time to work on other things, should you choose. Those other things could be sport, or they could be individual aspects of Crossfit, if that happens to be your chosen sport. The idea is to get all of your GPP out of the way, and then go perfect your snatch, or do some sprint intervals.

I will add that the main page is definitely insufficient to prepare someone to compete at the Crossfit Games level. The rate of improvement isn't rapid enough, unless someone is coming in an already very high level of GPP.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #95
Aushion Chatman
Affiliate Aushion Chatman is offline
 
Aushion Chatman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 3,342
Re: Any main pagers left?

We should keep in mind that Josh Everett has been exposed to CF for a very long time. It isn't like he was an oly/sprinter guy that came out of nowhere and performed well. He's done a Fran or two before...
__________________
My Youtube Channel
CFSD Yelp
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #96
Jason Denny
Member Jason Denny is offline
 
Jason Denny's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indianapolis  IN
Posts: 254
Re: Any main pagers left?

My affiliate follows main site. It is only open to public safety, so only fire/leo's use it. For our line of work, mainsite does a very good job of getting us fit. We have a couple of hundred members and few serious injuries. Most injuries are actually a "re-injury" from somthing suffered in highschool or college. We have had a Rhabdo case but it was a member who was also training for his MMA fight...over did his training. When we post the WOD, we will actually devise 3 WODs based off the one that was posted. One is RX, 2nd is slightly scaled, and the 3rd is heavily scaled...all the same movements or appropriate subsitutions. This way we can encompass all levels of fitness...scale scale scale. We have about 20 level 1 instructors (including myself) and many have been doing this for quite some time. So it is not unusual to see them changing up their WOD from what is posted. Myself, I stick with the main site. It is quite enough for me, it allows me to stay competitive in soccer. Most importantly, it allows me to have the strength to do my job. I can lift my bodyweight over walls, sprint to catch a bad guy and still have enough to survive the fight after that. I now have the tools to save myself if needed. What more could I want?
__________________
Indyshield Crossfit
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Indy-...65019083520597
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #97
Jared Ashley
Member Jared Ashley is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tucson  AZ
Posts: 1,550
Re: Any main pagers left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Denny View Post
My affiliate follows main site...
My little sister and her boyfriend work out at your affiliate, and often post their results to the whiteboard, linked to facebook, which allows me to see what kind of results they get.

My sister's been getting some pretty killer times, at Rx'd weight for women, and she's 5'2" and 115 lbs. She can squat almost 200, dead 225ish, clean over 100, OHS above her bodyweight, 21 rounds of cindy, 40 minute "eva", 5 1/2 minute "fran" at 65 lbs. That's pretty well-rounded, really.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #98
Jason Denny
Member Jason Denny is offline
 
Jason Denny's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indianapolis  IN
Posts: 254
Re: Any main pagers left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
My little sister and her boyfriend work out at your affiliate, and often post their results to the whiteboard, linked to facebook, which allows me to see what kind of results they get.

My sister's been getting some pretty killer times, at Rx'd weight for women, and she's 5'2" and 115 lbs. She can squat almost 200, dead 225ish, clean over 100, OHS above her bodyweight, 21 rounds of cindy, 40 minute "eva", 5 1/2 minute "fran" at 65 lbs. That's pretty well-rounded, really.
Really? Cool. We think of ourselves as a big family. Who's your sis? She PD or FD?
__________________
Indyshield Crossfit
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Indy-...65019083520597
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #99
Jordan Derksen
Member Jordan Derksen is offline
 
Jordan Derksen's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Winnipeg  MB Canada
Posts: 1,482
Re: Any main pagers left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Denny View Post
My affiliate follows main site.
I like that. Also, in terms of the games the mainsite does a good job of warning people about what's coming. I remember last year ring handstand pushups showed up a few times in the spring and then took a lot of people by surprise at the games. I seem to remember a while back there being a workout with muscle ups into handstand pushups. It'd be cool to see that this year. I like the more technical approach the games has started to take.
I'm sure it's been mentioned before on here but I find that some people who do their own programming and the way some affiliates program is just pick something outta the bag and go. Not the best approach. Mainsite is still a well thought out program IMO and following a program is whats important to programming. If you're gonna do CFFB then do it, if you're gonna do CFSB then do it. I see some athletes at my university use the any ol sh*t approach and it never really leads anywhere in the end. Plus it's near impossible to track progress.
I still mainsite and often post too which no one really seems to do anymore unless they have something to whine about. I've been thinking about doing a couple cycles on CFFB though. They've got a pretty attractive program there with a good amount of sprinting which doesn't get programmed enough on mainsite IMO. The recent bout of 10x100 made me happy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #100
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: Any main pagers left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
I see some athletes at my university use the any ol sh*t approach and it never really leads anywhere in the end. Plus it's near impossible to track progress.
How is the mainsite superior for tracking progress? I know they give you a date for comparing to (which usually links to a workout that happened months ago), but none of the progress tracking is done on any sort of apparent schedule.
But if you're doing "any ol sh*t" as you mentioned, how is the random tracking of progress any different?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Still can't get the main page, but... Scott Dusty Rhodes Technical Support 0 03-09-2010 06:56 AM
Can't get the main page. Scott Dusty Rhodes Technical Support 6 03-05-2010 06:57 AM
anyone doing main site only? Sean Richard Workout of the Day 9 12-24-2009 11:22 AM
What to do when you can't do the main WOD? Luke Hale Workout of the Day 9 04-21-2009 05:17 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.